Chapter 2 Casting Dreams

I pulled up into our drive. Austin was asleep in the back, black raspberry ice-cream dripping down his extra small graphic tee. He's always been small, but I think the never-ending chemo treatments have taken a toll on his growth, and him, not that he'd ever admit to it, or even knows it. I try not to think of it much, he has a way of knowing what I'm thinking of, and I don't want to worry him.

I climb out of the truck, the car door squeaks when I shut it stirring Austin, but only for a brief moment. I really should oil that. I open his door and unbuckle him, but stopping for a brief moment to memorize how peaceful he looks. When Austin is going through a treatment he can be in a lot of pain, and since our parents are never around, I'm all that he has. I'm strong when he's can't be. Its hard to be strong when your watching your brother in pain on the verge of death or at least close, so being able to look back on these moments gives me what I need to at least appear to be believing that everything is gonna be okay. After all it is, isn't it.

I pick up Austin and his bag, and walk through the door. Unlocked as usual, you would think that lawyers would have the sense to lock there door, I guess not. I lock it, and proceed to take Austin up to his room. Once we're there I lay him down on his race car bed, and go look for a clean pair of pj's. Spidey pajama pants, and a batman shirt. His favorite. Now comes the fun part, convincing a 4 year old little boy that sleeping in an ice-cream coated shirt was not a good idea, after all I just washed those sheets.

"Austin get up you have to change." I say gentle all he does is grown. "Come on you need to change, your going to get your favorite superman sheets messy."

"Spiderman's my favorite." He grumbles.

"Same thing." I say back trying to get him to sit up.

"No there not, Spiderman shoots webs, superman flies." He ague's, sitting up reluctantly. I slid off his sticky shirt making sure not to snag his chemo cath port, and grab a baby wipe to clean off his face while he changes into his pj's.

"So then what's the Flash do?" I ask jokingly as I wipe his face off.

"You're hopeless," he says, " he's the fast on."

"At least I don't spill my food all over myself like a baby." I say pinching his cheeks.

"I'm not a baby." He mutters.

"I know, dinner will be ready in 2 hours, I'll wake you up." I walk out of the room, closing the door behind me, but leaving it cracked, just a bit for both our sake's.