chapter twenty one ❧ loved

a/n: so many of you like this crappy book, thank you! check out my other one "games," i will still be publishing this. out sooner because merry chrysler.

"good things

don't last forever,"

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

* warning: this chapter contains sensitive topics! *

millie's pov:

"it's all up to you millie, whatever you choose is okay with me," sadie's mom spoke with a light smile.

"i-i'm not sure," i reply.

i had a choice.

sadie's mom would either adopt me into their family or i had to go to an adoption agency.

the thought scared me of living with someone i didn't know but i didn't want to be a pain for sadie's mom, no matter how much she insisted i wasn't.

sadie was already like a sister to me, but i don't want to burden them.

"can i have some time to think about it?" i asked, looking up at her.

she nodded with a smile and stood up giving me a hug.

sadie came down the stairs, grabbing an apple off the table and taking a bite.

"c'mon we gotta go to school!" sadie yells, already opening the door.

catching up to her, i slip on the ice landing hard on my back.

"HAH, you okay?" sadie laughs walking up to me.

"i'm swell," i say with an annoyed smile, and get up off the ground with her help.

sadie laughs as i roll my eyes, trying my best not to fall again.

we arrived at school and were greeted by noah, gaten and finn.

finn wraps his arm around me, and noah and gaten walk along with sadie.

"did you see iris yet?" i ask finn.

"nah, i don't think she came to school today," he replies and i hear him mumble "what a pussy," under his breath.

going to our lockers we see a sign as we pass by: we love you shannon, rest in peace

there were a couple of signs with people crowded around them.

the school was quiet today on our first day back.

arriving at our lockers, i looked over at finn.

he had bags under his eyes and he looked tired.

"didn't get a lot of sleep?" gaten asks, noticing the same thing as me.

"no, i was just- yeah uh no sleep," he mumbled and rummaged through his locker.

finn's pov:

classes practically flew by, some had substitutes.

we all know i never do any work when the teacher is absent.

like any usual day we sat down in the cafeteria.

"hey i don't think i ever told you this, but i quit football a while ago," i tell millie.

"why?" she says with a small laugh, opening up a water bottle.

"meh, it wasn't really my thing," i shrug.

the lights in the cafeteria flicker out but the big windows allow us to see fine.

looking around confused, teachers rush out of the cafeteria and try to get the power on, leaving us alone.