Dinner (4)

Josh pov.

Things at work are fine. My mother invited me for dinner today. I bet she can't stand being alone since dad isn't around. He has decided to make his last years worth a while by taking a holiday somewhere in Cape Town. My mother is English and my dad speaks Afrikaans, so there are bit of fight in the house on how to raise a child. My dad believes in 'slaan kinders' (hitting children) while mom likes sending me to the naughty corner. I had a bit of a rough childhood but funny too.

Needless to say I think I have a thing for Thandi. She is beautiful and I like her personality. I love being around her. I want to develope something more than friendship. She is gentle and cute. I just like her and I think even more than like. I've never felt like this for anyone else. Things are going to be a bit difficult with my dad. He's a bit of a  racist even though he doesn't want to admit. I don't blame him though it's just how he was raised as a little boy back in the days when South Africa was still in the phase of apartheid, Thank you tata Madiba, but he made sure that I'm raised in a different way than he.

"Oh honey there you are. I thought you weren't coming anymore." My mother said as she let me in the house and gave me a hug.

"Mother, you know I wouldn't leave you hanging. "

"Anyway come in. I've cooked your favourite, raosted potatoes and gravy."

"Ah thank you, ma." I thanked my mom and I inhaled the the aroma coming from the kitchen.

"So how has it been at work?" My mother asked while we were eating our food. She still has her British accent after all these years.

"It's been great but a lot of work to do obviously. " I just hope she doesn't ask about me having a girlfriend it's one of the reason why I avoided coming to visit here.

"Any girl mommy should know about?" Ah heavens open up. I wanted to put down my fork and just ran out of the house into my car.

"Well, there's one specific girl that caught my attention but I haven't made things official."

"Ha that is so great. I'm so proud of you. So is she a Jews or Christian or..."  She asked. I don't know why that seems to be important but mother always wanted me to marry a Christian girl.

"I'm not really sure what ethnic group she belongs to because she is black. She might be a Christian or she might believe in ancestors."

"WHAT! Josh are you out of your mind. She is B-l-A-C-K. And mostly she's not a  Christian."

"Mother I don't get why you are so worked up about her being black. She is beautiful and I love her." Oh Lord I love her.

"That's not the fact. Your dad will flip out. Her son marrying a black girl. He'll have a heart attack."

"Mother I'm sure he'll understand because I have intentions of making her more than a girlfriend. "

"Oh Josh. You must really like her. I hope she's a Christian though but your dad." She shook her head in warning.

"Mother please keep this between us. I want to be able tell him myself. "

"That's fine I don't think I would be able tell him anyways." She gave me an assuring smile.

We ate out dinner in peace and talked about random things but mostly my mother talked about her friend's daughters in case I wanted to change my mind. So much for a supporting mother.

*************************(*

Thandi pov.

I'm on my way to work and my mother gave me a hard time to think about moving out of the house. Her believes are of a Christian but totally against Christians if you know what I mean. She believes that people should be forgiven but I don't think she'll forgive herself. If you get what I mean.