Goodbye

"I'm gonna miss you," She whispered. Her arms slid up my neck and into my hair. She pressed her soft lips up against mine. 

"I won't be gone long," I wrapped my arms around her back and held her tight against my chest. 

She pulled away, sending me into the wall behind us. She crossed her arms and tilted her brows. 

"Don't lie to me," She insisted. She stood tall and firm, but her voice cracked as if she would cry. I looked away. 

"You're so pathetic! You say you love me, you say you care, but then you just leave? And you refuse to tell me where you're going or how long you'll be gone. God knows if you're even coming back." I didn't turn my head, but I could hear the tears in her voice. 

"Well?" She yelled, "Are you?" I slowly turned my head as my eyes welled up. 

"Sometimes you just have to say goodbye. Not because you know when you'll cross paths again, or if you ever will, but because you have to go. Sometimes goodbye doesn't mean see you later, Evie. Sometimes goodbye just means goodbye." 

"So which time is this?" Droplets raced down her cheeks. 

I shrugged, "we'll just have to wait and see." 

"So what I just say goodbye now? That's not fair, I can't do that!" She wailed. 

"It's easy, come here." I muttered. She walked slowly over to me. 

"Now wrap your hands around me." She did. 

"Okay, now, you-" 

"Shut up," she cut me off.

"What?"

"Just- stop talking." My heart pounded as she threw me against the wall. But this time, it wasn't out of aggression or agony, it was out of love and passion. I held my fingers against the back of her head as she kissed me, over and over. My hands slowly transferred to her cheeks, stopping her. She slowly opened her tear-filed eyes, and I stared at them for a while. I couldn't bring myself to let go. 

"Now you just say goodbye." I held back the tears. She lifted my hands off her cheek, and held them in between hers. I felt shivers down my spine as she kissed them, for what I knew would be the last time. 

"Goodbye."