I Love You

"I totally saw it coming!" She hoped off the couch, presumably to get more popcorn. I couldn't help but stare at her as she walked. She wore a red, over-sized sweatshirt, black spandex shorts, and pink fuzzy socks. Her hair was parted far to the side, and completely knotted. No make-up either. She wasn't trying to be beautiful. She didn't have to. 

"You did not," I chuckled softly as she walked back and stood in the doorway with more popcorn. 

"Who's idea was that anyway? 'Oh let's just turn all these frogs into aliens and make them kill everyone,'" She said sarcastically.

"They didn't turn into aliens," I stated. 

"Okay, they where aliens the whole time, same thing," She stuffed her mouth with popcorn.

"Come sit," I said.

"No."

"Why?" 

"Come here," she set the popcorn bowl down on the TV stand and waved me over. 

"I don't wanna get up," I teased, trying to work her up. It was cute when she begged.

"Come on!" She ran over to me, grabbed my hands, and pulled me up. She dragged me by one hand. At first, I walked with her as she led me outside, but I stopped right before the doorway. She turned around and looked at me, as if to ask why I had stopped. I didn't answer. I grabbed her other hand. 

"That was a terrible movie," I whispered, staring at her short, black hair. 

"You're adorable," she snickered, continuing to drag me outside. We walked to a ladder, that I assumed led to her roof. 

"Follow me," she started to climb. I followed. She had two sleeping bags, two glasses, and a bottle of wine set up. 

"Wow," I exclaimed softly. 

"Come on," she grabbed my hand again and walked me over to the sleeping bags where we climbed in and got comfortable. She poured me a glass of wine. 

"Thanks," I took a sip.

"Isn't it beautiful?" She looked up at the sky. I stared at her. 

"Gorgeous," I said, "this star shines brighter than any other one I've ever seen." I hadn't even looked up yet, I kept my eyes fixed on her. 

"Which one?" She asked, turning her head. I quickly looked up. 

"Uh- that one," I pointed to a random star. I felt tingles in my chest as she nuzzled up against my side and held my arm close to her chest. I smiled. 

"Evie," I started. 

"Yeah?" She asked. I love you, I thought, I love you, I love you, I love you. But I didn't say that.

"I had fun tonight." 

I ran my fingers through her hair as she fell asleep on my chest. There was nowhere else I'd rather be. 

"I love you," she muttered, half asleep. 

I swore I felt my heart explode, "I love you too." 

"Connor!" I heard a voice boom. The stars faded, and the darkness turned to light. I was in Lana's kitchen. 

I squeezed my arms. I wanted to go back to that night. Back to Evie. 

"Are you deaf?? I've been calling you for like five minutes!" Lana snarled in the doorway. 

"Sorry- I- uh," I stuttered. 

"Still haven't eaten, have you?" She pulled out a bag of pizza rolls, still sealed shut. I shook my head. 

She sighed, "pack your bags." 

"Bags?" I asked. 

"Or bag, whatever," she opened the bag. 

"Did- did I miss something," I rubbed my eyes and rested my head on my palm. 

"No- you just weren't listening. You're not going," She stuck a plate full of frozen pizza rolls in the microwave. 

"Lana-" I tried to speak but she interrupted me.

"I don't care what you have to say. You're eating, then were leaving. Period." 

"Look, I know you're upset, okay, but stop and think for a second! It's like six thousand people against, like, not six thousand people!" I tried to talk some sense into her. 

"We'll get Evie on the way," she completely ignored my mini-lecture. 

"This isn't about Evie!" 

"Yes it is." 

"No it's not!" 

"Yes it is." 

"How?" 

"You don't give one monkeys anus about any other person in that city Connor! You only care about me and Evie," she grabbed a bottle of win as the timer began to go off. 

"That's not true! I don't want to be responsible for any deaths!" I crossed my arms. How could she say that?! 

"Yeah, well I don't want to be responsible for your death! Scratch that, I'm not going to be responsible for your death, because you're not dying!" She chugged the bottle.

"Would you go easy on that? God, you're gonna pass out before the foods even ready!" I rolled my eyes. 

"Jokes on you, the food's ready," she placed a plate in front of me. I stared at it. 

"Eat," she insisted. I grabbed a pizza roll. 

"Thanks." 

"I'm putting you're bag in the car," she gripped my backpack. 

"Lana! Are you crazy? I said no!" I took it from her hand. 

"I'm not letting you go!" She grabbed the other end and pulled. 

We screamed things like, "let go," or, "you let go," for about five minutes until finally, Lana gave up and dropped her end, sending me back into the wall. She instantly went after her bottle of wine. I slowly approached her, then quickly pulled her into a hug, too tight for her to push me away. 

"I love you Lana, and I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I don't want to hurt you, but that's why I have to go. Thank you, for everything, big sis," I whispered. 

Silence. 

I didn't want to pull away. As a kid, I hated our awkward hugs. The ones our mom used to force us into for pictures. But today, that's all I wanted. 

I headed for the door, a tear forming in my eye. I then felt a sharp pain against the back of my head. 

Everything went black.