Protection

Typho keeps a close eye on me as we speed through space. I try to ignore him and focus on the transport ship where Cordé, my most trusted handmaiden, is acting as my decoy. I stay away from danger, acting as her escort pilot, Typho on the other side of the ship as her second escort. It's been two months since I've been back, and I'm nearly sure that the threat is gone, and that I will be alright. I'm more than ready to come back. We approach Coruscant, needing to do a quick flip as the gravitational pull makes us feel like we're upside-down, and we move into a smooth descent down to the landing platform. A safe arrival. I land my ship gently, and quickly jump out of the cockpit to see my friend and decoy, Cordé, safely descend the ramp to the surface of Coruscant,

"We made it! I guess I was wrong," Typho says, gladly. "There was no danger at all."

Suddenly, the ship bursts into flames, and explodes, the wings cracking off, and my guards, as well as Cordé, are thrown off the ship violently.

"Cordé," I call, rushing over to her, to save her.

"M'lady... I'm so sorry..." she forces out, her voice feeble and tired. "I failed you, senator." With those words, she grows limp, and dies in my arms.

"No... No... No!" I reach back out to her, trying to bring her back. "I should not have come back."

"M'Lady, you are still in danger here." He pulls my arm, trying to get me to follow him, but I stand firm, refusing to leave her.

"I shouldn't have come back."

"This vote is very important. You did your duty and Cordé did hers. Now come." I don't respond, but I keep staring and the wreckage and death I brought upon my friend, upon my most trusted servant. "Senator Amidala please!"

With a sigh, I follow him, and we make our way into the transport which will take us to the senate building.

oOo

"Senator Padmé," calls Teckla from down the hall. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Teckla," I tell her, "but-"

"Where is Cordé?"

I pause, unable to force the words out.

"Senator Amidala, where is Cordé?"

"She... She..."

"She didn't make it," Typho explains. "There was an attempt on the senator's life, and Cordé's life was lost."

Teckla falls silent. Her eyes well up with tears, which spring over and run down her face in rivers of salt. She nods, silently, then walks me into my room.

"Were you hurt, M'Lady," asks Miré, who clutches a medical kit in her hands.

"No, I'm fine," I reply with a breath, "but there is a debate today that I simply can't miss."

"Of course," she replies, placing the medical kit on the countertop and rushing to my closet for a change of clothes. She returns with my blueish violet satin senate gown, along with the golden headpiece and golden hoop necklace. Cordé used to dress me in those clothes every chance she got.

"As a memory to Cordé," Miré explains. "So you can take her with you today."

I nod, glad of the simple gesture.