Chapter 40: Rejection

Elizabeth took a deep breath as she stared at Emma's chocolate colored eyes

"Yeah?" Emma asked.

Elizabeth chewed her lips and took a deep breath again.

Emma laughed weakly. "What is it?" she asked with a hint of concern in her voice.

"Nothing," Elizabeth finally said. "Nothing. I just...uh...wanted to say you will be alright," Elizabeth said.

Emma smiled genuinely and hugged her friend.

Elizabeth slapped her face in her head. She closed her eyes forcefully, not knowing whether she would regret keeping it from Emma or not. She loves Emma. But she's a lot closer to Jade. Elizabeth want to tell Emma everything for she did not want Emma to suffer like that. Emma did not deserve any of that. Elizabeth was somehow torn on which side she should stay. She knew Jade loved Tom, but her ways were not the typical ones. Elizabeth was in fact at awe at how Jade lied her way through. She could not believe it, actually.

She wanted to tell Emma everything but that would mean the end for Jade. And Elizabeth could not afford to see Jade suffer as well.

Emma pulled away from the hug, still with that smile on her face. "I'll be alright, Lizzie. I promise."

Elizabeth managed to reciprocate her smile. She could not tell Emma now. She wanted to talk to Jade first and clarify things up.

"I am getting there," Emma added.

"How are you and Matt?" Elizabeth asked.

"Uhm, okay. To be honest, I don't know," Emma looked lost.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, he's been trying to ask me to get back together, but I don't think that's possible."

"Maybe that's just because you are still in the process of healing."

Emma pursed her lips into thin line. "I don't know. It's just that I feel that no matter what, the old spark that we used to have will never come back, with or without the interference of Tom," she shrugged apologetically. "I don't know. And I feel bad."

"Don't be," Elizabeth touch Emma's shoulders. "Don't feel guilty. Think about it hard. And decide. Do not let pity or loneliness influence your decision."

"Thanks," Emma said.

"Just, just be careful, okay?" Elizabeth said. "Be observant and do not trust easily."

Emma nodded.

*****

Emma sat in front of her dressing table, staring at herself, long and hard.

Should she end it or not?