TGWCW [2]

revised: 6/8/2018

The familiar but unfamiliar embrace of water consumed me

The familiar but unfamiliar embrace of water consumed me. I haven't opened my eyes but I knew that this water was a home to algae, living creatures and trash. It was not the usual "bath" I was used to having.

"Mom! Mom, can I go now?" I heard myself ask. I was a little girl. We were on the beach. The sun was hot on my skin and my feet burned from touching the sand.

She looked at me blankly as she sat on a chair outside the porch of the summer house my dad has. My dad was busy hauling our stuff inside the house. He told me the story that he used to spend his every summer in this summer house with his parents and siblings. This was more than a summer house to him. More like a haven, a safe place that is now his own. Among his family, he was the only one who has the key to this house.

"Put on your slippers and then you can go," she answered my question as she put on her orange sunglasses. She slipped off the cardigan she wore, revealing a bikini top. She leaned backwards and relaxed, decided I must not be important enough to waste her time with.

I did what I was told, mainly because the sand was really hurting my skin and then I rushed towards the shore, my rubber duck in one hand. I was about to plunge right into the waters but then stopped right before a wave crashed into the shore. It washed my feet and I almost slipped as the water rushed back to the ocean. I figured it was a good idea to take off my slippers and leave it somewhere that is far away enough that it wouldn't be swept away.

Another wave came and I braced myself. It was a pretty big one and it knocked me off my feet. I laughed it off even though I had sand all over my skin. I could taste the saltwater in my mouth and I think I swallowed some of the water.

When the water rushed back, a bright toy floated away. My rubber duck was being taken by the water. I didn't hesitate to dive right into the water and reach for my toy. I was a fairly good swimmer; had a couple of classes while I was in school.

But I didn't notice how far away I was getting from the shore. And I could barely reach my toy as it kept floating away from my grip. I kept swimming towards it and it kept getting away.

I heard someone shout my name from far away. But I couldn't hear them clearly. I decided to focus all my attention to the duck that I am so close to grabbing.

And I finally wrapped my fingers around my toy.

And the ocean swallowed me.

I tried to swim up and my head managed to pop out for a bit before I was submerged completely. My eyes were tightly closed. The waves crashed against my tiny body and it knocked the wind out of me. I ran out of breath. I tried not to inhale because I was sure that's how people die from drowning. I kept a tight grip on my duck that was the only thing providing me comfort.

I could hear my heartbeat against my own ears.

But I couldn't hold it in any longer. I need to breathe. The urge to breathe was too overbearing for me. And so I did. I inhaled. I know what was supposed to happen and I guess I was ready for it.