Chapter 1

I clenched my strained jaw even tighter while I struggled to let my gaze slowly follow the rock wall all the way to the protruding edge of the gigantic mountain. As I breathed in the crispy air around me I felt the familiar way instincts swarmed my brain and prepared my muscles for what was next.

After all, this was what I lived for.

The epinephrine pumping through my veins and the feeling of fighting against pure nature were sensations that couldn't be described but demanded to be experienced on first-hand. Although, what had to be the most intriguing and giving feeling had to be when I beat the odds.

The wind was blowing my hair in various directions and unfortunately succeeded to mess with my already blurry vision. Suddenly, I was clinging to the cliffside for my life, trying to press my body as close to the wall as manageable from this angle. My sore hands were heavily roughened up by the rugged and sharp edges of the mountain and sweat mixed up with particles of dust ran down my temples in frequent streams as I let out a frustrated huff.

It was now or never.

Involuntarily repeating inside my head was the fact that if I made one fatal mistake I would be utterly screwed. It meant I could most likely forget about an active future or my life for that matter.

After coming this far I was too tempted to back down, though. I had made it my own personal mission to reach the top of this mountain, spending more than two years working out and preparing for this particular moment.

My tongue poked out slightly between my lips, a habit I tended to when I had to seriously concentrate. I stared at what would perhaps have to be my next holding point with more uncertainty than I wanted to admit to myself.

I did have to admit that the distance was more than extremely far between me and the gripping point, though. I considered the odds very thoroughly and they inconveniently they never seemed to be in my favor. To be honest it never bother me a single bit. Bad odds apparently only spurred on my urge to prove that there was no such thing as limitation in my world.

After all, I was Lauren Jauregui and I knew I was infamous for having more courage than was healthy. As much as I hated the word, I would have to say I was a daredevil of the worst kind. My only advantage was that I was good at what I did and I knew it. More precisely, I was nothing short of exceptional at what I did. Spending most of my childhood basically living in the nature among the tall trees and challenging rock walls unknowingly prepared me for what would later become my life.

There was no point in arguing that the distance presented itself as one of the most difficult obstacles I had ever faced. It was a much bigger leap than I had tried on in my past and whenever I closed my eyes I could help but take in the exhaustion that was evident in every limb of my body. Everything in me longed for rest. My arms, my legs and even my stupid toes were starting to cramp up.

I opened my eyes and they immediately focused on the previous spot, my only opportunity to get a good enough hold to steady my next move.

Within a second, the decision was made and before I could form another thought, I kicked off from the unstable foothold, basically gambling on success. The next thing that happened unfolded in slow-motion.

I watched as my fingertips failed to lock onto the pointy edge and felt the thrill of panic that occurs when free-falling erupting deep within my core, before spreading through my body like electricity. It was like lightning from clear sky.

It was a rare occasion that I had enough time to be aware of falling, but there was no time in the world that could have prepared me for the pain that consumed me when I crashed to the ground and darkness enveloped me like a mother cradling their baby.
**