Epilogue

Lexie's eyes flew open to the familiar sight of the campfire. Dwight was talking to Bill on the other side in hushed tones. Lexie sprang to her feet and rushed over without even trying to hear the conversation and slapped Dwight hard in the face.

"Don't you EVER do that to me again!" She yelled angrily.

Shock and confusion were plain as day on his face as he raised a hand to rub where she'd slapped him.

"What did I do?" he said, voice barely above a whisper.

Bill excused himself, wanting no part of this quarrel, and Lexie started in with a deep breath, "I know the risks of doing what I do. I know I might not make it out, and you know that, too. It doesn't matter to me. None of it does, as long as all of you are safe," tears filled her eyes and her voice broke as she continued, "Watching you die right in front of me was the worst feeling I've ever had. I never want to feel that way again."

Dwight pulled her into a hug and stroked her hair softly and she sobbed into him chest, "I can't watch you die again. I don't care what happens to me; I just can't watch you die ever again. Please, please never try to save me."

"Oh, Lexie..." Dwight said. He tilted her chin up to look into her eyes, "I will never stop trying to save you. You may not care what happens to you in there, but I do. How do you think I felt when I saw what The Doctor did to you? When I found what the Hillbilly left of you?"

Dwight leaned down and kissed her on the lips, and she gave a muffled cry of surprise. As he pulled away, he smiled and said, "I will never leave you behind again, and I will always try to save you because Lexie, I love you."

"Dwight," She said with a pained expression, "I love you, too. That's why I can't bear to watch that happen ever again."

He kissed her once more and said, "I'd die a thousand times more just to hear you say that again."

Their moment was interrupted by a loud retching sound. Nea was pretending to vomit, then said, "Can you two please get a room?"

Lexie looked around, and said, "We're in the woods."

A male chuckle pulled her attention and Ace was standing by with a smirk on his face, "Bill's been rigging up a lean-to for you two since Lexie's third trial. Honestly, we've all been taking bets on how long it would take you two lovebirds to finally get together. After what Jake told me about your trial with the Huntress, I thought for sure you'd have it figured out, but the two of you just danced around each other not making eye contact."

Dwight held Lexie's hands in his own and smiled warmly at the girl he'd fallen in love with. She smiled back and said, "So, how about we check out this lean-to?" He nodded, and with a wink, Lexie started to pull him away from the fire and into the woods.