chapter 1

i woke up to the sound of wheels on concrete. i lay there for a few minutes listening to the sound before finally checking the time, 9:27. i realise that i had to meet all of my friends today so i got up and went into the bathroom. i turn on the shower and looked into the mirror, i was a mess. i got into the shower and put on my childish gambino playlist. after i finished, i scraped my hair into a towel and stumbled to my room where i put on my comfiest sweat pants and a tank top. i lightly dry my hair with the towel, leaving it damp then walk downstairs. i hear the voices of my family and my friends, sophia, wyatt, finn and jack. "what up lazy bones' i hear jack say. i smile and turn to my mom. i was about to sit down to have breakfast when my mom gave me a hamper, "can you give this to the new neighbours across the street? i think they're called the Leiberher's but i'm not sure". i sigh and say yes, smiling. i take the hamper from my mom and walk outside, the sun was so bright that it made my eyes water. i wasn't wearing any makeup so it was fine, i heard the scratchy noise again but decided to ignore it as i wanted to be quick. i went up to the house across the street and knocked on the door, there wasn't an answer. i rung the door bell and the scratchy noise stopped. i heard a voice behind me, "if you're looking for my parents they went to the grocery store'. i turn around to see a boy with a skateboard under his arm. so that was the scratchy noise. he had straight, short, brown hair, green/blue eyes and a slit in his eyebrow. he was wearing a really nice denim jacket that made him look 10 times hotter. "oh, okay. thanks. my mom just wanted me to bring round this hamper as a welcome gift for you and your family. she makes one for everyone, it's kind of her thing." i explained. "oh i can take it if you want, i'll give it to them when they get back" he replied. i gave him the hamper with a smile and started to walk away. i was almost at my porch when i turned around, "by the way, my name is talia, my brother is finn. and the other kids you've probably seen infesting the neighbourhood are wyatt, sophia and jack." i said. Laughing, he said "thanks, i'm jaeden". i turned around and walked up to my porch, hearing him continue with his skateboarding.

i walked back into my house and through to my dining room where my family and free-loading friends were sat. grabbing my food, i sat down and began to eat. "Did Mr and Mrs leiberher like their welcome hamper?" my mom asked. "no, they weren't in so i just gave it to jaeden" i replied, getting back to my breakfast. "ooh who's jaeden, your boyfriend?" finn teased while the others looked up from their breakfast with questioning looks. "oh my god you have a boyfriend? why didn't you tell me i'm supposed to be your best friend." sophia said, sounding kind of annoyed. "guys he's literally the neighbour's son, i knocked on their door and nobody was in so he took it for me, he was the one skateboarding on the street this morning" i say casually. "oh my god yeah that was so annoying" wyatt said with an irritated voice. wyatt was my next door neighbour on my side of the street to the left of me, sophia was on the right of me and jack was jaeden's neighbour to the left. "it honestly was, we should tell him that if he wants to live here, he has to lose the board, or find some where else to disturb the peace" jack joked. with that, we all burst our into shreiks laughter. finn spat out his milk all over sophia and jack fell off his chair because he was laughing so hard.

once we had all settled down and started eating again, letting out the occasional laugh, we heard a thud and a shout of "Fuck!". it was coming from the open window in the living room as it was on the front side of the house. we all immediately turned around towards the direction it came from. sophia and i exchanged a look, knowing exactly what had just happened outside on the street. we all started laughing and got up from our chairs and walked towards the door. jack opened it and immediately pointed at an injured jaeden sitting on the sidewalk clutching his leg. "are you okay?" wyatt shouted. the boy turned around and put his hand to his forehead to block out the sun and squinted towards us. his eyes widened when he figured out who we were. "oh, uh, yeah im fine, are you guys talia's friends?" i walk out in front of the group to reveal myself, "yes, unfortunately." he nodded his head. "hey!" they all said in almost unison. i laughed and told them i was only kidding. we walked off my porch and onto the sidewalk, towards jaeden. 'you should probably get something frozen on that, it looks like it hurts." finn said. "ah i would but i don't have a key for the house yet and my parents are out" he said. "we know" sophia quietly said to me as she nudged my shoulder, i rolled my eyes at her and brought my attention back to jaeden. "that's too bad" finn said, jaeden nodded. "you can come back to ours and join us for breakfast if you want, you can get something for your leg too." finn offered. "i'd like that" jaeden politely said, he got up and picked up his skateboard and followed us into my house. we went through to the dining room. "hey ma, jaeden, the neighbours kid hurt his leg outside and he can't get in his house to ice it, so we invited him round to join us for breakfast, hope that's okay." i said sweetly. "of course, the more the merrier!" mom said excitedly. she turned her attention to jaeden, "hi sweetie, im Mrs Wolfhard, but you can just call me amanda, call it informal, but the rest of these baboons just call me mom anyway" mom said with a giggle. "hi Amanda, i'm jaeden" he said nicely. she nodded her head with a smile and went back to watching tv. everyone sat down at what after we all became friends, seemed to be their designated spots at the dinner table, everyone except jaeden, who was awkwardly stood leaning up against the door frame coming into the dining room.