18: Greetings, Old Friends

Words you speak are harmless to me!
Your spite, your greed, your envy!
Why do you stoop so low?
Am I the last to know?

Omniscient POV

Lucy stalks towards the pub occupied by her formal guild, Alec hot on her heels, but her old team isn't far behind them.

Aw they draw closer, Natsu suddenly stops. When he stops, his team stops. "Are we supposed to follow?" he queries.

"Why does it matter, let's just go," says Gray. "It's our pub."

Lucy bursts in through the door, nearly knocking it off its hinges, and Alec goes in with her. Everyone inside, previously conversing amongst themselves, immediately goes quiet when they notice who's just entered.

Jaws drop, faces go pale, and eyes widen to the size of the moon.  Though no one speaks. No one can find any words at all.

She raises her hands out to the side. "Well? I'm here. Do you see me now, Fairies?"

"Lucy," Lisanna says in shock.

"It can't be," Cana adds in the same tone of awe.

Lucy takes in all the various reactions to her sudden appearance. "There's definitely perks to being brought back from the dead. I guess this is my official resurrection."

Is she being sarcastic?

"I thought you'd be happier to see me," she comments, but it doesn't at all sound like she means it. "Four solid years and you all thought I was dead... You only quit after two years, right?"

The silence is a heavy punch in the gut. But not to Lucy. Somehow she was expecting this and it is evident by the look on her face.

"So what?" the celestial mage asks no one in particular. "Don't you have anything to say to me? About your spite? Greed? Envy?" She whirls around again. "I heard you have my keys. I do apologize for that. That wasn't my idea."

She starts making a few careful steps. It seems as though they're all too shocked to speak. None of the Fairy Tail mages can seem to grasp on the fact that... Wolfbait has been Wolfbait the whole entire time. 

The blonde stops at Max's table. He is visibly tensing, and Lucy assumes he's avoiding to look at her. "Ah, Max. Max, Max, Max." She suddenly wraps a lean muscular arm around his throat, pressing the back of it with her other forearm. "How'd you miss me?" she dictates viciously.

Max gags. "I-I didn't say... anything. Nice to see you again, Lucy..."

She makes his face go even more red as she puts more pressure on her arms. "Oh? I really don't think that's true. You were one of the worst ones to run your mouth about how useless I was, weren't you? I may be blonde, but you know I'm not that dumb."

Someone shouts. "L-Lucy-nee!" It's Romeo. "Where h-have you been?"

Lucy looks over at Romeo, standing by the bar, and instantly lets go of Max. "Romeo. Holy shit, you've grown a lot. You have a growth spurt or something?"

"What have they done to you...?" the fire mage says. His eyes are wide.

"Don't any of you have anything to say to me?" she asks. She sounds disappointed. "Cana, Mira? And I couldn't forget about you, Lisanna. I guess it's understandable. Or is it? I, the long lost Lucy, have returned in the guild that's kicking your ass in the Grand Magic Games. Are you happy I'm alive or shocked I'm not dead?"