06. this is our land!

warning: contains foul and offensive language and slurs

* also i wrote bill's stutter in this one bc i felt it was really important to include his stutter in the dialogue for this chapter. but i probably won't keep doing that cuz it's kind of degrading but even if i don't write it out, he still has a stutter.

* also, following scenes are extremely influenced by scenes in stand by me & it with a twist. so no, i am not ripping them off lmao.

06. this is our land!

          The next morning, Hester woke up feeling better than usual. For some reason she felt like she had more of a reason to wake up, more of a reason to get out and enjoy the day. She usually felt bored when she woke up. She felt that exasperating tug on her heartstrings that said, "oh great, another day to go through." But today, she felt rejuvenated.

      Maybe it was the thrill of yesterday, maybe it was the knowledge that again she would be with her newfound friends who accepted her just for who she was. She didn't have to wish that she was another person, someone more loud, someone more befriendable, when she was with these friends. She hadn't known them for long at all, but still she felt a sense of comfort knowing she could associate them as "her group."

     Hester got out of bed and went to the bathroom, where Star already was brushing her teeth. Star took her hair out of her face and bent down to spit, then glared over at Hester who was smiling gently in the mirror while she put lotion on her face.

      Star furrowed her brows,

     "What's wrong with you?"

Hester simply raised her brow and tied her curls up into a bun, shrugging and tugging on her shirt in the mirror.

    "Nothing. Why do you ask?"

     Star squinted her eyes at her and then shook her head, defeated,

     "Nothing. It's just, you look awfully smiley for someone who often looks like they wanna die."

Hester shrugged again, looking down as if nothing was affecting her mood,

     "Guess I'm just in a good mood."

At that, Star began to get all types of ideas in her head. She looked over at Hester and gave her a smirking smile, trying to clue Hester in to what she was thinking. But Hester only gave her a look of of uncertainty. Star sighed loudly and rolled her eyes,

     "I'm trying to get you to tell me about that boy. You know, all sister-like?"

Hester was now even more confused. She knew Star was talking about Stanley, but she didn't know why Star was giving her that look or trying to ask her more about him. He had contributed in a positive way to her mood because he had taught her how to ride a bike, and because he had invited her out with his friends-- their friends. But that was all there was to it.