Winter Winds || Part 2

In Which She Warms Up

      "Isla," Eira mumbles hesitantly. She continues only when Isla turns to her with a questioning look. "Do you think that maybe..." she trails off, eyes flickering to the white and black tiled floor. She moves her binder up a bit so she can hug it closer, fighting off a shiver. "Do you think that we could go get a coffee after class?" She was in such a rush this morning that she couldn't grab one, and now with the day almost over, she is desperately needing a cup or five. She needs to chase the cold down with warmth.

      "Eira, seriously. You have an addiction!" Isla laughs and then grins, pushing the classroom door open with her side. "Of course we can go after class. We should invite Iris too." She heads to the left side of the classroom, settling down in her claimed seat.

      "That sounds perfect, thank you," Eira grins as she takes her seat next to her, sending Iris a quick text before the teacher could see. "Oh hey, did Nat call again? Have you heard anything about the kids?" Eira turns in her seat a bit so she can talk to Isla comfortably. Mr. Jensin doesn't seem to be paying attention to them today, and all the other students are in their own conversations.

      "Yeah, they want to know where the gifts came from. And the blankets; apparently they adore the blankets." Isla sounds sad about it, probably thinking that the kids have never had anything like that for themselves.

      "We'll visit them today, then." This earns Eira a smile from her best friend, but before they can continue, the lecture finally starts.

      Eira tries her best to concentrate, but all she can feel is the numbing cold inside her now that she isn't distracting herself with conversation. She pulls her sleeves down over her hands, trying to stop the shaking, and then tucks them between her thighs. It doesn't help much, even though she's wearing multiple layers.

      Nothing ever really does.

      "What happened there?" Isla asks as soon as Iris sits down at their table

      "What happened there?" Isla asks as soon as Iris sits down at their table. Eira drinks her coffee, staying quiet but wanting answers too.

      "What, this?" Iris points to her head, where twin marks on each temple peek through her hair. They look painful, like small holes drilled into her head, red and angry. "My mom says they're from my devil horns. Apparently they made an appearance again." She shrugs and grabs the latte Eira ordered for her, guzzling some of it down and sighing in pleasure afterwards.

      "Seriously, Iris. What happened? And don't listen to your mom," Isla scolds.

      "Well, this morning I fell out of bed, and then I hit the top of my car while I was trying to get out... So I'm going with my mom's story. It sounds more badass," Iris smirks and flips her red hair behind her. 

      "I like that story too," Eira confirms, finishing her coffee as she stands up. "You guys want anything?" She looks to Isla first since Iris is still drinking her latte.

      "Maybe a muffin?"

      "Something chocolatey?" Chimes in Iris.

      "Got it. Be right back." She smiles and feels warmer for once, if only slightly.

      Eira waits in line, eager for another coffee and feeling warmer with excitement. She digs into her purse to get her change ready, and stops suddenly.

      The warmth she was feeling, it isn't because she thinks she's changing.

      She turns around slowly and sees him standing behind her in the line. The new boy who shines like the sun and spears her with its warmth.