Chapter Two: Wild Encounters

• Dedicated to Abigail Balderas

Riding my Lamborghini with the convertible down, I drove out of our garage and took a quick trip ‘round our residency to make sure that everything is running smoothly.

The garden and front yard seems to be doing well with the landscapers doing their ritual trimming and watering of the plants.

The sprinklers doing a fine job at the miniature golf course at the back.

A little further on and I stopped the car to pay a little visit to our man-made forest. I went down and walked towards the high fence, opened the gate and let myself in.

Right near the gate was the cabin where we store the food for the pets that we have. I went inside and took a basket and went for the freezer that stored the meat. I took a large slab and placed it inside the basket and went out of the cabin.

As I lazily walk toward a certain place that has a certain animal, I was greeted by our other pets, both caged and free. A hawk. A python. Monkeys. An armadillo. Hedgehogs. Rabbits.

All of them showing-off their large, watery eyes, expecting me to feed them.

“I’ll leave you all to the caretakers.” I thought to them.

And when I got to the center of the forest, I gave a long, simple whistle, which instantly gave me the sound I was expecting.

A low, audible purr followed by steps that indicated that there was a large prey approaching.

“Hey there, big girl!” I said as I beheld the large, striped feline that was on its way towards me.

Mina.

A tiger we found back at Africa when me and my dad did business there nine years ago.

She was a motherless cub back then. Her mother was killed by poachers, said the residents of the forest where we found her.

We were on a small village of native Africans and were planning, together with other rich families, on building a school for the children that lived there. When we came back to our all-terrain Jeep, we were greeted by a growling kitten that was foraging for food from our vehicle.

Then, all hell broke loose. Everyone panicked. The other businessmen ran for their lives. Their wives ridiculously wobbled in their stiletto heels. (They’re the only people who dare wear heels in the forest….)

Even dad stood frozen from shock.

But behind all the madness, I remained still and looked the kitten straight in the eye. I don’t know what went through me, but there was something in the kitten’s eyes that sent me a message. I felt that it needed me. That it’s lonely. That it’s hungry and needs someone to take care of it.

At that moment, I knew it was me.

My hand absent-mindedly went to my sling pack and grabbed the bag of Cheetos in it. I pulled it out and used my free hand to rummage the bag of cheesy crisps. Taking a few pieces, I withdrew my hand from the bag and held it out to the hungry kitten. The reaction it made was priceless.

All the ferocity in its eyes went out. Her limbs went trembling. Then I heard a rumble. It was her stomach. I smiled. She was hungry.

I made cooing sounds to invite her to take the food. She crouched and went down from the car. I knelt to equal her height, making sure she won’t be scared.

Inching her way to me ever so slowly, one paw at a time she made her way.

When she was near enough, she sniffed the air for the food I was holding and licked her lips