✘ Prologue

Sept

Sept. 28, 2017

   "Father I'm home," I shout as I close the front door, throwing my backpack onto the couch. "In here!"

I walked through the living room, into the kitchen seeing him. He was propped up against the counter, holding two lottery tickets. "Okay wipe that smirk off of your face now, I'm not doing it." I say almost immediately. "Please Giana, for me and Arnold. I've been stressed lately," he states while sighing.

Believe it or not, lottery tickets are my dad's stress relievers. Well.. those and bingo, of course.

"Your boss?" He shakes his head, "The bills. Giana, what can we lose if we scratch these?"

I roll my eyes, "Nothing." "Nothing. Now here." He says handing me mine. I grab it and began to fix me some orange juice. "Okay when do they call the numbers?" I ask. "Right now. Stop what you're doing and get in here!"

I turn around no longer seeing the man in the kitchen, "Can I at least fix me some OJ." With no answer in return, I proceed to pouring my orange juice in the glass. After I'm done I place the carton back in the fridge and walk into the living room.

"Come, come sit! Shush!" He says while patting the empty couch space beside him. I do as told taking a seat.

"Hello, welcome back to channel 40 with the Wisconsin news."

My eyes scan over the tv screen as Heather Huntley, my favorite news reporter, pops in sight.

"Today I will be calling out the lucky numbers for the Ten Million dollar lottery ticket buyers."

"That's us! That's us!" My dad shouts, startling me. "I know." I nonchalantly say before taking another sip of OJ.

"I have been told, if you have the winning ticket please report to the store you've purchased it from tomorrow morning."

I shrug, "I mean if we lose it won't be the first time we sleep like losers," I stated, glancing at Dad. He was focused on the tv, he most likely tuned me out.

"And the numbers are ladies and gentlemen, 47, 23, 65 and 11. I repeat the winning numbers are-" the tv was shut off.

I turn to my dad seeing him with remote. "Why'd you do that?" I ask taking it from him. He turned to me, "Because Giana," he takes a deep breath, "we won."

I furrow my eyebrows, "Say that again?" I ask. "We won!" He states louder. "We won! We won! We won ten million smackaroos!" He jumps up from the couch engulfing me into his arms. Not caring that I have orange juice in my hand, it freely spills from the glass as he shakes me side from side.

"I can't believe it!" I say as he lets me go. "I gotta call my boss." He runs pass me, down the hall. "Why?" I shouted. "To quit!"

"Wait! Wait! Wait! Maybe you should do that in the morning after we get the money, so we know for sure!" I suggested. He peeked his head from his bedroom doorway, "You're right. Smart girl I have, smart girl you are."

I smirk before do a little shimmy shake.

"A sip for new beginnings!" I say before finishing up my orange juice.