Theory the Fifth: In Which Captain America Dies

Since it has been all but confirmed that some Avengers will be lost in Infinity War, Chris Evans seems a likely candidate for someone who could die and not come back. He's been doing this job for a long time. His Spider-Man: Homecoming post-credit scene suggested he could be planning on hanging up his spangled tights for good. If he dies, Bucky would be a likely replacement since he took the Captain America mantle after Steve Rogers died. Jeffrey Mace would also make sense if he hadn't suddenly and unspectacularly died last season on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Of course, the only comic book character who absolutely has to stay dead is Peter Parker's Uncle Ben so Mace could come back. It is highly unlikely that a character of Mace's level would cross over from TV to the movies, though, especially to take such an iconic title as Captain America. The most likely candidate for Rogers' replacement is definitely Bucky. We're already familiar with him, his history, and his struggles. The Captain America title could be a great New-Year-New-Me opportunity for Bucky.

In his last moments, Steve Rogers pulls his best friend close and whispers, "Avengers, assemble" then he dies.