Prologue | The First Day of School

Sean's POV

"Sean, wake up!"
I smell the scent of fresh cookies from downstairs as I open my eyes slowly, my brown, messy hair sprawling down over my eyes.

"Coming dad!" I shout lazily, wishing I could have five more minutes in bed. However, I know that I can't. It's my first day of school here in Los Angeles, and I'm not looking forward to it.

The plane ride here was so horrible. There was an annoying little girl sat next to me throwing up the entire time, and myself and my family were left to try and fend off the temptation of being sick alongside her.

Then there was a mother in front of me who would not make her baby shut up, and it just kept screaming and crying for the whole flight. It was horrific. I wish we didn't have to be here in the first place, but my mom found new business here so the whole family had to come too.

My thoughts are interrupted when I roll out of bed, preparing to go downstairs and greet my family. I sneak down the stairs, finding that my two brothers have gone to school already, and I'm left at home with my two sisters and my father, as my mom is in work too.

"Hey, Sean." My dad says to me, handing me a plate of cookies with a breakfast muffin. "Thought I'd treat you.. you know.. since you're worried about school and everything." He states, smiling sweetly at me as my sisters compare makeup and outfits. I smile back and nod my head, walking over to the dinner table and sitting down. I'm still getting used to the layout of this damn house, despite being here for a few days now.

I eat my food in silence, trying to calm down my inner anxiety as I take deep breaths through bites of sugary sweet cookie. My thoughts are strangling me. What if school really is as bad as I think it's gonna be? I know some say 'Why worry?' But how could I possibly not worry at this stage? I was so hated at my old school.. I can't go through that again.

But - I suppose - to some extent, this could be a good thing. The start of a new age.. the start of something special. Maybe I'll find a nice girl.. or guy.. to settle down with and be able to finally live a happy life.

I pack my backpack and get dressed, making sure I brush my teeth and style my hair for twice as long as usual, just to make a good impression. When I'm sure I haven't forgotten anything, I set out, starting my walk to school.