1. Dying kind of sucks

Chapter 1

There was a theory that said that a butterfly landing on your shoulder; meant 'good luck'. On my behalf, it meant quite the opposite. It all started the day my mother and I took a stroll in the park nearby our house. She was beautiful; long legs and long wavy brown hair. Her name was Celina Eidon. She held my small hand in her perfectly sculpted one and swung our connected hands back and forth as we walked down the trail. I happily licked the ice cream we bought earlier; it was plain old chocolate, but it was my favorite flavor. My mother sang to me while we walked.

10 little butterflies, flying as we go,

10 little butterflies, one lands on my nose,

10 little butterflies, one is on my shoulder,

8 little butterflies flying as we go.

I clapped for her when it ended; accidentally dropping my ice cream. I cried and cried at my heart's content once that cone of delicious chocolaty goodness slipped from my grasp. My mother tried to calm me down, but failed. She kept whispering things into my ear like 'It's alright' 'We can get a new ice cream cone', but nothing worked. Finally, she saw a beautiful blue butterfly flit near us. She let it sit on her hand and set it on her shoulder.

10 little butterflies, one is on my shoulder,

She sang the butterfly song to me until I eventually gave in and laughed at the butterfly on her shoulder. She tried to pass it to my shoulder but once she put it on her hand, it flew back to her shoulder.

I smiled and said "Mommy! The butterfly likes you!"

She replied by saying, "Baby, the butterfly likes you too."

On our way home, we decided to walk since our house was just two blocks away. We crossed were crossing the street by our block when I saw the same butterfly we saw in the park. I smiled and ran towards it.

"NO DELILAH!" She screamed when she noticed I ran into the street.

I gave her a confused look that said 'but I'm just chasing the butterfly'. She ran into the street and pushed me back. I screamed and rolled onto the sidewalk, clenching my leg. I remembered thinking mom is mean! She pushed me! That was until I saw her lying on the cold, hard pavement. First, I thought she fell, but then I saw the pool of red start to surround her limp body.

"Mommy? Wake up! We're almost home!" I yelled from the sidewalk.

The butterfly sat next to me on the sidewalk. I cried and yelled at the butterfly for beckoning me over. It attracted me towards the street and made my mother bleed. I didn't even know she was dying. I watched as she pulled herself to me with her hands. I didn't want to go out in the street again, so I waited for her to get closer. Finally, she got to the sidewalk and held my hand.

"Delilah, honey, I love you so much baby. Just remember that for me alright?"

"Yes mommy."

"Tell daddy I love him too."

"Yes mommy."

"Delilah, just remember the butterfly. Do not get mad at the butterfly, okay?"

"Yes mommy."

"Goodnight, baby."

"But mommy, it's only the afternoon."

"Time doesn't matter, it's just what happens within the hour."

"Okay mommy."

She smiled and stared into the sun for a long time. I figured she was just resting, so I left her alone. I just sat beside her, holding her hand at the edge of the sidewalk. The streets were empty for the next 15 minutes until a woman screamed and ran to us. She asked me if I was alright and then called 9-1-1. By the time the ambulances and police cars came, it was already much too late. I wondered if the sirens bothered my mom while she was resting. I asked the police to turn them down because they were disturbing my mom's rest. They smiled sincerely before turning their sirens off. I watched them take my mom away and my dad rushing in with his car after work. I sat on the sidewalk waiting for them to tell me when my mom was finished resting, but they never did.

My dad cried and pulled me into a big hug. He told me that mom was never going to wake up again, so I couldn't wait for her. I could only see her when it was my turn to rest. So that night, I dreamt of my mom and her song about the 10 butterflies.

I cried every time I wanted my mom. If I wanted to hug her, I'd cry because she was no longer anywhere for me to hug. Instead, I hugged her pillow that my dad sprayed with her favorite perfume. I loved the perfume she used. It smelled like roses and peaches. One day, the police came to our house with evidence from the hit-and-run. They gave me my mom's butterfly necklace when I told them about the butterfly that killed my mom. I think they felt bad for me. I wore it every single day to school, church, shopping, grandma's house, and everywhere else. I hated that butterfly, but it was so hard to stay away from it.

I rubbed it with my thumb and index finger when I thought about something very hard or if I was nervous or extremely bored. I felt like my mom was with me every time I rubbed the butterfly on the necklace. It was a sick coincidence how she had a butterfly necklace when a butterfly killed her. I never forgave that stupid butterfly for killing my mom. I only liked the reassurance it gave me. It reassured me that my mom was happy. Sometimes, I'd hum the 10 Butterflies song in my head to remind myself of her voice. I felt like I could almost hear her singing it again.

10 little butterflies, flying as we go.