2. Meeting human beings

I walked through the hallways of Athenia High. My long, dark brown hair cascaded down my shoulders. My hands were tucked in my sweater sleeves, my fingers peeking out a bit. My shy demeanor glowed, creating an aura of awkwardness around me which made everyone back away. Sometimes I'd smile a little at my old friends, but that was all the socializing I did. I was too scared to get close to someone. My butterfly would land on them and cause them their death as it did to my mom and dad.

As class started; I looked out the window. The teacher knew not to call on me, especially since everyone was starting to think that I was a mute. Nobody knew my entire background; nobody knew about my butterfly. It flew to the windowsill and sat there, just watching me to see who it could murder next. How could death come in such a beautiful form?

I sucked in my breath as it got bored and flew off. I sighed as the bell rung for the next class which happened to be the last class of the day. Spanish.

"Hola clase. Como estas?" The teacher asked.

Everyone groaned in reply to her question.

"Alright, alright. I know you're all tired so why don't we wake ourselves up by switching seats today?"

Some peoples' faces lit up with excitement. Girls whispered to each other about wanting to sit next to the most attractive boy, and boys talked to each other about sitting next to a girl who they thought was hot. I slowly chipped off pieces of my light pink nail polish as the teacher called out names.

"Taylor and Randy." The girl and boy shuffled off to their seat excitedly. At least they knew each other. I'll have to speak with someone I won't know and they'll make me do all the work.

"-Elle and Jase, Coby and Sephora, Ashley and Luke, Diana and Issac, and Delilah and Evan."

I blinked twice as I got up and sat next to Evan. The jock of the school. He slumped into his seat looking over at Tanya with a yearning look. Tanya was extremely beautiful; she was basically how you'd envision a femal angel.

Snapping out of his trance, Evan looked at me. "Hi." He mumbled.

I nodded to him while I worte down the objective for the day.

"Do you even talk?" He asked.

"No, actually I don't." I barely said.

"So you do talk! What's your name again?"

"Delilah."

"Cool. I'm Evan, but everyone calls me Ev so you can too I guess."

"Alright..."

I ignored him for the rest of the period because it turned out that Evan was a talker. And I mean a talker. He didn't even seem to notice that I wasn't even listening to him talk. The bell rang again and I sighed in relief, knowing that the torturous 45 minutes was over. I was finally allowed to leave the wretched place.

"So Delilah, why don't you talk a lot?" Evan asked me in the hallway.

"People tend to ramble about things I normally do not genuinely care about, so why have a conversation with them?" I said softly.

"I dunno." He shrugged.

" Exactly." I sighed.

He tilted his head and raised an eyebrow at me. "Delilah; you need to have more fun with your life. Come with me, you're going to meet people today."

And with that, I was being dragged down the halls by a well known jock in our school. People gave me pointed looks, but didn't question the situation. I found myself standing outside in front of a red haired girl with a contagious smile playing on her lips.