Under the bed

I wait day long and strike fear at night.

"Dad can you check for a monster under my bed?" She said, like every night.

I slipped deeper in the shadows when the father looked under but saw nothing.

"There, no monster under your bed sweety, now sleep."

He closed the door, leaving us in darkness.

"Monster please leave me alone." She whispered and everything was silent, until I reached up from under the bed and grabbed her leg before showing myself with a huge smile on my face, head almost touching the ceiling with my pitch black eyes blacker then dark, the little light next to her bed illuminating the room in a glow that only accentuated my lanky physic.

She had learned since I started, she learned not to scream for help or I would give her nightmares.

She trembled, little kids are the best prey, I feed of fear.

"I'll rip your eyes out!" I yelled, knowing no one would hear me, she covered herself in covers, crying as I chuckled, slipping back under the bed and back in the shadows.

A day went by and it was time again, I reached up but felt nothing.

Intrigued, I stood up and looked around, she wasn't here.

I waited one day, two day, three day.

Nothing.

I got out of the house in the middle of the night, looking at each of her friends but she was nowhere.

A paper slapped me in the face and I stared at it, a missing poster of my prey..... No one.

I crumpled the paper... And I mean no one,

She's mine, no one else's to scare... Touches her.

I went from under one bed to the other, shadow to shadow, searching for what was mine.

"What are we going to do with the girl if they don't pay up?" I heard once and I knew I found my prey.

"Simple, we'll take her out."

I reached out from under the bed and grabbed the leg of the man that was sitting on it, it easily broke in my hold.

I got out from under it slowly, towering over the two man.

"The heck is this?!" One screamed, shooting at me but the bullets simply bounced off me as my black eyes bore holes in their soul. 

"Your worst nightmare!"

I opened the door from which I heard crying.

"L-leave me alone! D-daddy!" She screamed, thinking it was the men.

"Idiot prey." I muttered and she looked up at my voice, actually looking happy to see me.

"Monster!" She yelled, hugging my legs with her little arms.

I sighed and picked her up in my arms.

"Lets get you home." I muttered.

"But the bad men."

"They won't bother you anymore, only I can."

"What's the red on you."

"Blo--Strawberry jam." I lied.

"You're a messy eater!" She chuckled and hugged my head making me sigh in defeat, I just lost my prey.

"Dad!" She screamed, crying as she ran up to the man as I vanished in the shadows before he saw me.

"Princess! Oh my god."

"The monster helped me."

"What monster? The ones that took you?"

"No! The monster under my bed."

I smiled to myself.

"Yo 'ster the scene is cleared dad is asleep." I sighed as she came in the room, closing the door of her room.

"You're nineteen, a bit old to still believe in monster's under your bed." I said as I stood behind her, she bent her head backwards with a big smile.

"Well yeah but you aren't like other monsters."

"Oh?"

"You are real and not made up like the boogeyman."

I smile large, too large for my face, showing of my sharp teeth but she was not scared of me and for years now, she smiled back.

"Yeah, I'll always be the monster under your bed."

"Wouldn't ask for anything else."