Chapter 5

Honestly, I was hurt by what Nathan said, but I wan't gonna let it get to me. I found him sitting on the couch after that, watching tv. I sat down next to him. He didn't even look at me. We just sat there in silence. After several minutes, I couldn't take the silence anymore. It was just too awkward.

"You never told me that you could sing, or play the piano." 

"Why would I tell you, Lizzy? I hate you, and clearly you hate me too." He said, without turning his head away from the screen.

"Well, still. I've known you since we were toddlers. I just thought I would know, that's all."

"You don't know anything about me."

"Does anybody know, besides your mum?" I asked curiously.

"No." He said as he quickly glanced at me.

"Well, you're really good, Nath." I said, trying to sound friendly. 

"You think?" He asked, turning his body so that he was facing me. 

"I know. You have a gift, Nathan." We still hated each other, but I could tell that people's opinion on his music really meant alot to him. His eyes lit up when I said this.

"Thanks, I guess. I've been singing since I was little, but I never really told anyone about it. It was just something I did in my spare time, I didn't intend for it to become my new career or whatever."

"Do you want to be a singer, Nathan?

He looked down, as if he had to think about it for a second. Several seconds later, he responded, but his head was still down.

"Yes, I do. But, I don't think I've got what it takes." He said so quietly, it was almost a whisper.

"Don't say that. You're really talented, Nathan. Honestly, you've got one of the best voices I've ever heard. Don't give up. If you want to be a singer, go for it."

He lifted his head up and spread out a bit on the couch. He stared at the ceiling for several minutes, and I assumed that he had no reply. I got up off of the couch and started to head back to my room.

"Thanks, Lizzy." He mumbled before I left.

I smiled and headed back to my room.