Chapter 16

Nathan had been pretty quiet on the train ride back to Gloucester. I don't know why. He barely spoke to me, but when he did, he didn't really seem like he was into the conversation. He just sounded bored and distant. I didn't wanna ask if somrthing was bothering, though. He was probably just tired or something. Surely he'd get over whatever was making him quiet.

We were back at his house now. His mum wasn't home, probably at work. Nathan still seemed distant, which was really odd. I couldn't stand it. I had to go talk to him. I was sitting in my room and he was upstairs on the piano. I jumped out of bed and followed the sound of the music.

Once again, I just stood by the door and listented to Nath's music. I wasn't going to say anything until he noticed my presence. A couple minutes later when the song ended, he turned around briefly then did a double take when he spotted me.

"Hey. What are you doing up here?" He asked with a straight face. 

"Heard your music, so I thought I'd come up and listen. Plus, I kinda wanted to talk to you."

"Sure. Come sit" Nathan said as he gestured to a spot on the bench beside him.

We sat  there for several moments in silence. I was about to break the awkward silence by speaking, but Nathan beat me to it.

"So.. what did you want to talk about?" He asked as he kept his eyes on the piano.

"Is something bothering you, Nath?" I asked, shuffling a bit closer to him.

"No, why?" He responded, while still not looking up from the piano.

"I dunno. You seem really distant. You've barely talked since we left London and you don't seem as happy as you were yesterday and this morning. Is something wrong, or did I do something wrong?" I asked as I stared at him. 

He finally looked up from the piano and looked into my eyes.

"I'm alright. You did nothing wrong, Lizzy. Don't blame this on you." He said as he gave me a cute half smile.

"Then why do I get the feeling that you're not okay, and it is my fault?" I asked.

He sighed and propped his head up on his elbow. We sat there for several moments before he spoke again.

He then moved closer to me and cupped my face in his hands. 

"Listen to me, Lizzy. You did nothing wrong. I'm perfectly fine. Don't worry about me, alright?" He said as he stared into my blue eyes. 

"Okay." 

I got lost in Nathan's eyes. They were just so perfect. Everything about him was perfect. I noticed he was no longer cupping my face, but we were still staring at each other. I don't know what led me to do what I was about to do, but it seemed like the right time for it. I leaned in and pressed my lips against his. He was kissing me back, but then he quickly pulled away. He backed away from me and started to stand up.

"Why did you do that?" He asked coldly.

"I think I like you, Nath." I said and I stared at a spot on the ground.

"I don't like you like that." He said as he started heading downstairs. I quickly got up and started following him. 

"Then why did you kiss me back?" I yelled out from the top of the stairs. 

I ran down the stairs before I received a response. He was standing in the kitchen, just staring at the ceiling.

"Why did you kiss me back then, Nathan?" I asked as I sat on a bar stool in the kitchen.

"I was surprised." He responded with no expression.

"If you were surprised, you wouldn't have kissed me back for that long. You would've just froze or pulled away."

"Fine, I kissed you back. But it's not for the reason you think. Sorry. I don't like you, Lizzy."

"And what exactly is "the reason I think"? And you're saying that you don't like me like that?"

"I mean, I don't like you at all, Lizzy. I was only being nice because you were heartbroken and I knew my mum would kill me if she knew that I didn't do anything to make you feel better. Also, I didn't wanna have to listen to you cry all night. I was being nice, Lizzy. Nothing's changed between us. I wish I could say that I'm sorry if you thought otherwise, but I'm not. You're just as stupid as I thought you were if you believed that there was something going on betwen us." He said coldly.

"B-but. You were so helpful. You stayed with me all night and.. the neclace? And Big Ben.." I struggled to say.

"It was an act. I just wanted to make you feel better so you'd shut up. I didn't know what else might make you feel better, so I gave you the neclace and took you to London. It didn't mean anything." 

I wanted to collapse and just drown myself in my tears. I was stupid. Stupid for believeing that he could ever change. Stupid to believe that there could ever be something special between us. He was still the same jerk he was last week. I really didn't know what to say. Several tears fell down my face and I tried my best to hide them, but it was no use. I was crying.

I walked closer to him until we were directly facing each other.

"As much as I hate to think it, I think that I love you. I always have, I just masked it with hate. But you ruined that, Nathan. It's a shame we couldn't even get along enough to be friends." I said as more teas started streaming down my face.

I stormed out and headed into my room, then slammed the door. I was broken. I was broken and then he helped me pick the pieces back up before shattering them again. What went wrong between us?