Moving On

Prologue

What is love? How does one know when they're in love or when they're out of love? How does one base their perception off of the sound of their heartbeat when they move closer to the one they 'love' or when that person does or says something so sweet that the first person just knows, they just know that that person is the one for them?

How are people able to use the words "I love you" so easily, and at the sight of a small fight, be able to take everything back, and break up just as easily? How can you be in love with someone if you are not able to put up with the ups and downs in your relationship?

And then right after breaking up, how are they able to rebound with some other girl, or some other guy? Do they do that to take revenge? To prove something? I don't know.

What is love? Some people say when you're in love, you just know it. You have butterflies in your stomach; your face glows every time you talk to them; you get excited when they accidently touch you.

But then again, isn't that how every woman feels when she sees a handsome man? Isn't that what every man feels when he sees a beautiful woman? So how are they able to say that those feelings represent love?

Let's take a step back here. What is the true definition of love? According to Google, love is defined as an intense feeling of deep affection for another person.

Is that really true? Some would say yes. But the answer is no. An intense feeling of deep affection can also be percieved as infatuation.

What is the difference between infatuation and love? Infatuation is mostly physical. A woman loves seeing her boyfriend all dressed up, neatly shaved, and looking quite handsome. A man loves to touch his girlfriend to show his affection for her. He appreciates her beauty and her style.

But do these people know who their other halfs are truly? Do they know about their personalities? No.

If a person is truly in love with someone, it includes physically, emotionally, and mentally, meaning that she or he knows everything about the other person. They know the goods and bads of their other half, and are able to appreciate both sides equally. If a problem shows up, they are able to solve it in a mature perspective. For a person in love, something extremely dire needs to happen for them to decide to break up. Small fights do not seperate them. And if the break up has to happen for sure, both sides will regret it for half a lifetime before slowly moving on. That is what love is.

So imagine my surprise when the man I met exactly one year ago whispered the three fateful words in my ear. I had heard them before and they had not been real. Could I trust this guy? Could I believe him when he said I love you? Could I be sure that he wouldn't leave me in a broken mess like my previous boyfriend, that he wouldn't leave me to fend for myself, to learn by myself how to move on?

Yes.

How could I be so sure? When the time comes, you will just know.