Chapter 3

Victor's POV

After hanging around school with some of my friends, I finally decide to go home. I walk for about half an hour when I'm shocked at what I see before me. In a collapsed heap lay Yuri, his pale face smothered in blood. I bend down and see if he's alive. 'Alive, but unconscious' I think. So I stand back up and walk over him. 'He'll be fine' I tell myself.

I just hope that's the truth.

I walk inside, give my mum a kiss on the cheek and talked about school, leaving out the fact that we have a new kid.

"That's great hon, but can you go take a shower and change into something nice? We're going across the road to meet our new neighbours." She asks

"Yeah sure," I sigh, "But I've got homework, so I can't stay to long."

She nods understandingly. "Ok, I understand completely. Now shoo!"

So I walk upstairs to the bathroom just before the sun starts to set.

Yuri POV

"Hey look, it's the newbie." one says.

"I guess he tried to miss out on his welcome beating," says the other, "looks like we have to make sure that you won't run from another beating again." The first one grabbed my shirt collar and threw a few punches before throwing me to the ground. They start kicking me everywhere; the stomach, face and even my balls. With one final kick to the head I black out. 

When I come round, I can feel every inch of damage inflicted to my body. I want to lie on the ground and go to sleep to stop the pain, but I get up anyway once I realise that the sun is starting to set.

Once I made it home – not that my parents noticed – I went to the bathroom and took a shower. When I'm out of the shower, I trace my fingers over bruises and scars that left jagged lines across my arms and torso. The second I walked out of the bathroom my mum calls out to me. "Yuri!!! We have some guests that I want you to meet!"

"Coming Mum!!!" I yell back. I walk down the stairs and look into the lounge room and see three people with their backs turned to me. When my mum sees me, she gestures me over while saying, "Yuri, these people have come over from across the road to welcome us."  She then motions me to turn and face the three people who are now standing before me. That's when I realise who my new neighbour is.

Victor