Chapter 3: Secrets of the Trade

Every year the Roman army has a gala to induct the new recruits. Every high ranking soldier brings his best men to show off to their Legatus as well as several Senators. Niall told Louis that he was brought along every year and it was always hectic. There was so much wine and food, exotic dancers and whores, and even a few gladiator shows. Dominus had never hosted before, but he certainly did not disappoint.

Zayn and Perrie were even invited, and made a point of bringing some of their slaves along to be sold in auction. Of course as soon as they arrived, Perrie went straight to Louis to check on him. When he was first traded into their Ludus, Perrie had taken a liking to him, even though she knew she couldn't keep him. But she would make sure he was comfortable and treated well, and she even let him braid her long blonde hair. He used to braid his sisters' hair, so he rather enjoyed it.

When Louis was first sold to Harry he wished he could just stay with Perrie and be one of her personal hands. He is starting to like it at Harry's villa though, but she was always so warm. And Louis' new Dominus was, well... confusing.

"Little Bear!" Perrie shouted as soon as she saw Louis in the line-up. She was wearing a long sea-foam green toga, garnished with emeralds and pearls, probably a gift from Zayn. "Darling Little Bear, how are you?"

Louis blushed when she kissed his cheeks, and got a tiny sick feeling from the rude looks he was getting from everyone else. "V-Very good Mistress."

"Fantastic!"

"Perrie, love, leave him be. Harry probably wants them all to stand ready for when the other guests arrive." Zayn said, gently tugging her away. She pouted for a second before Zayn whispered something sweet in her ear, and she was clapping and kissing him.

But before she left, Perrie ran back to Louis one more time and whispered in his ear. "I hope Harry is being gentle with you."

She ran off with a wink and left Louis to stand wide-eyed in the line-up. He could still feel the glares of everyone around him because of the special treatment. Soon the tension was dropped because Harry walked in with Niall behind him. In Niall's hands was a box of gold paints and masks, each representing a different God or Goddess. The only exception was Jupiter, as Harry did not want any of the servants to be the all mighty.

"You will paint your bodies, bare, with this paint and each of you will have your own mask. I expect you to be wearing these all night." Harry said in his authoritative voice. He nodded at Niall, who started handing the masks to their designated servant.

Louis watched as each of the masks were given out and it seemed like Harry had given quite a bit of thought to it. Such as the mask of Juno, wife of Jupiter and patron goddess of women, marriage, and family, being given to Siri, an older slave who Louis learned had raised Harry when she was owned by his parents. The mask of Bacchus, God of wine, parties, and ecstasy, was given to Niall, which made sense to Louis after their night of drinking. However, when Niall got to Louis he gave him his mask with a big smirk, and when Looked back at Harry, he too was trying to hold down a grin. Louis took the mask and gasped when he finally looked at it.

It was a feminine face, gold just like rest, but it also had seashells around the top like a crown and doves wings carved into the sides. Venus. He swallowed a lump in his throat and carefully tied the mask over his face. It was surprisingly easy to see through, Louis found, and he watched as two of the slaves helped Harry slip on his battle armor. It was a tradition for the Legatus of the house to wear his armor during this gala. But Louis was surprised by the engraving of a boar's head on the chest.