Forward

• Dedicated to Olivia

The moon had rose high in the sky. It was only hours before morning and Cypress had just fallen asleep. The anxiety in her stomach continued to eat away at her up until the very second she drifted off into her dreams.

Clang

Cypress stirred in her bed

Clang clang

CRASH

Cypress startled awake. The noises she thought were part of her dreams were real, and really breaking into her house. Cypress grabbed her robe and wrapped it around her frail body and stepped out of her room. The hallway was dark, but she was able to make out a figure. “Arion?” she whispered.

“Cypress. Thank God you’re okay,” her brother responded. Panic ran though Cypress’s body. “Why wouldn’t I be okay?” she asked, fearing that she already knew the answer.

Before Arion could answer, Cypress took off to the main room. “Cypress!” Arion whispered, more alert.

The two reached the main room to find both parents talking to the Royal Guard, their mother frazzled, their father barely phased.

“What’s going on here?” Cypress asked, anxiety ridden and showing it now.

“Nothing. Arion, you and Cypress go back to bed,” their mom said in a hard voice.

Cypress ran to her father’s side and wrapped her arms around his. “No!” she said holding back tears. “I won’t go, I’m not going to bed until they leave.”

A comforting hand was placed on Cypress’s head and she looked up to meet her father’s smiling gaze. “Its okay Cyp. Go back to sleep, you could use it after all the running around you’ve done to help your mother recently.” Cypress hugged her father tightly and walked out of the room with Arion slowly, stealing one last glance before she turned the corner.

“Thank you for refraining while my children were present. Perhaps we should take the rest of this outside to keep from waking them again, aye?”

The two guards escorted him outside, Cypress could see them talking from the window. Once she deemed the situation to be fine, all weapons sheathed, low voices, no violence, she crawled back into bed and went to sleep.

If only she hadn’t drifted off into the sweet realm of dreams that night. If only the anxious gnawing feeling hadn’t dissipated and continued to eat away at her nerves. Maybe she could have done something.

Or at least see how nobly and respectfully he went.