I gently pat down my shirt, ridding it of any crinkles. Looking into the mirror, I nod at my makeup less face and wavy chocolate brown hair cascading onto my shoulders.
"I'm ready," I say to myself, more like convincing myself that I was ready for this day. I ponder back to a month ago...

Flashback

"What the fuck did you just say?"

"Eva! Mind your language! How many times do I have to tell you not to say those kinds of words?" mom says as she hits me on my shoulder.

"Oops,"

I reply with a sheepish smile,

"but really though, what did you just say? I think I might have misheard you. I might need to borrow your hearing aid,"

I say with a hint of humor in my voice.

My mother rolls her eyes at me before she continues,

"I said that my friend and her family are coming to stay at our house for a few months."

I shake my head out of disbelief of what I'm hearing from this woman's mouth right now.

"Mom do you realize that we only have one spare bedroom? And how many people are in her family? I'm pretty sure 4 if I remember correctly."

"That won't be a problem. My friend and her husband will stay in the guest room. As for her two boys the younger one can stay in your room and the older one can stay with your brother in his room."

My eyes widen to the size of golf balls. A boy staying in MY room with ME? My mother, the person who constantly guards against my interaction with any guy when she can, is now saying that I'll be sleeping in the same room as a guy. What the hell is going on? Is the world ending or something?

"Honestly Mom I really don't know what you're on right now but I'll just take this whole situation as an extreme leg pulling k?"

I walk away with one thought in my head,

God I really hope she's joking...

End of flashback

Ah, sadly she in fact was not joking. I spent the last month helping my mom prepare to house her friend's family as well as mentally preparing myself for what was about to come.

The ring of the old doorbell echoed throughout the house, signaling that the family I had never really met had finally come while my peace had left in its place.