-|2|-

Sorry for the delay, I was plotting as I went, so it took a little more than expected. Also, it turned out longer than planned, so please enjoy part one (1) of Roses For Christmas!
Please don't forget to comment and vote!

-|Kate's POV|-

The snowing went on and on outside the window, and my head was beginning to hurt from staring at the clock so much. I had everything set up, the blanket, the wine, the food, even the music. Everything. Now the only thing missing was... Leo.

-|Flashback:
Four months earlier|-

-|Narrator's POV|-

"Will you be here for Christmas?" Kate asked. Leo gently caressed her face, twisting a strand of her strawberry blonde hair behind her ear. "Yes, baby," a tear slid down Kate's cheek and Leo wiped it away.

"Do you promise?" She asked innocently. People who ask the other person to make promises have usually been through the most broken trust issues. "I promise, sweetheart, it'll be fine," he reassured her. Leo pulled Kate close to him to give her one final hug. "I know I'm being ridiculous right now. I know how the film industry works, I know it's your job, but I just can't help it. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, Katie, I'll just film a few scenes and be back before you know it." He took her face in his hands and gave her a long, tender kiss. "I'm gonna miss you." She sighed. "I'll miss you too, I love you."

"I love you too, Rosebud!" Leo hollered, walking towards his driver's car. She giggled, loving the nickname he had for her after her character.

"I love you more!" She hollered back, laughing despite herself. "Not possible!" He blew her a kiss before going inside the vehicle.

-|End of flashback|-

Now, four months later, it was almost Christmas Eve and Kate was patiently waiting for Leo to return from America, where he was filming his new project. She could hear the muffled sounds of the Christmas Carols the neighbors were playing.

This was supposed to be their first Christmas together, assuming Leo could make it on time.

Sighing for what felt like the hundredth time that day, Kate made her way into the kitchen. She had managed to get ahold of a small turkey and stuffed it with her family's special secret recipe. She also made some sweet potato mash and some homemade eggnog. Biscuits and beans were also on the menu.

She had made everything they needed, measuring the perfect amount for two people.

Christmas at the Winslet's house had always been great, but not quite what Kate enjoyed. She has three siblings, one older sister, and a younger sister and brother. Add to that, they had never been exactly the richest people around, so they never had a lot of food or the biggest tree, but that never bothered Kate. That was never the problem.

The problem was, everyone was trying too hard. Neither of them minded their Christmas wasn't the most expensive, but they all tried too hard to emphasize that. They all tried their best to show everybody they didn't mind it, to the point it was becoming annoying.

All Kate wanted was a simple, sincere, enjoyably calm Christmas without people trying to "show off" the things they didn't have.

And so she had sat, and she thought, and thought, and thought some more until she couldn't think no more. And then, it came to her. The perfect idea for the perfect little Christmas. A bit on the non-traditional side, but she and Leo would make their own traditions. They would make it work.

She had made a Christmas picnic under the tree. Complete with a blanket her grandma knit for her when she was a child, a basket in which she would put all the food, some wine and two glasses, some romantic Christmas music, and a few candles she would light soon.

With everything ready, she decided to settle for a glass of eggnog until Leo arrived so they could pop open the wine. Glancing at the clock, Kate realized it was still a couple hours before Leo's plane touched down, so she decided to take a stroll around the neighborhood and check out the decorations, take in the atmosphere.

-|Leo's POV|-

The plane ride felt like it lasted days. Weeks, even. Finally, at 4 PM on that cold Thursday, Christmas Eve, a private jet belonging to the one and only Leonardo DiCaprio, best known as Jack Dawson for the time being, touched land. The blonde actor made his way out of the plane, wearing a loose white shirt a few sizes too big for him and some good old jeans.

Cameras flashed and crowds roared. Even at the airport gates, people had gathered around to witness America's hottest trend, even if the only thing he did was flick his hair off his face. "Jack!" They screamed. "Leo! Leo over here!" He politely waved at them and gave them a kind, shy smile.

After all, he was used to all this, wasn't he? The loud screaming, the cameras flashing on his face, the overall pressure of being famous. He made his way into the car and pulled out his winter coat. He had almost gotten used to the sunny, warm Californian weather, but was soon enough reminded of the rainy, foggy, cold weather that was usual in England for the season.

He smiled to himself as he gave directions to his driver. He was going home. And home wasn't a house, a property, or four walls stacked together. None of that. Home was a person, a somebody. Home was Kate. Leo rummaged in his bag, looking for that one thing he had hurried the jeweler to have finished for a week before.

Smiling, he pulled out the little velvet box from his handbag. He opened it carefully, imagining her expression when she saw the ring he especially had a professional hand make for her. Running his fingers along the gold, he memorized its shape.

A rose, each petal covered with tiny little white diamonds, each shined more than the last. And in the middle, a blue diamond. "A diamond. A very rare diamond." He recalled her saying her lines. It shined and sparkled, almost making the words he engraved on it seem dull, but not quite.

Turning the ring, he traced his thumb over the words. The words he had spent weeks thinking over and over, now engraved in pure gold, destined to be worn by his one true soulmate. How could he choose what to put on it? There was so much he wanted to say, so many feelings. Emotions he hadn't felt before.

Feelings that reached deep within him, enveloping his heart and making it soar, making him want to burst with happiness and joy. How could a single person make him feel all this? There is so much to a person. Simple words were what she liked best, but he felt like pouring his heart out. Not all the words in all the books in the universe in all the languages ever spoken were enough to express what he felt.

"We're here mister," said the driver. Leo put the ring back in the box, making sure it looked perfect for when Kate opened it. He got out of the car and collected his suitcase. After paying the driver, he pulled his cardigan tighter around him and walked the few steps up to the door. He fumbled in his pocket for the keys, and with a simple turn, the door opened.

"Kate? Katie, I'm home!" Leo hollered, dropping his keys on the table and hanging his coat by the door. He took a few steps forward, leaving his suitcase by the wall, and stopped on his tracks with what he saw next.

-|To Be Continued|-