Chapter 32

Chapter 32

"Coming up on the target zone in three...two...one...mark!" Eldorian reported, as Azure and the 1059th rapidly bore down on the Void battlegroup at no small fraction of light speed.

"Here we go, people." Torrent said. "Stick to the plan, and we'll come out of this in one piece. Let's do this."

Fourteen ASF fighters raced towards a Void battlegroup made up of hundreds of vessels and fighters.

The Void were canny fighters; they recognized that numerical superiority meant nothing against the ASF's karatas, particularly with the strange coordination that they had somehow managed to achieve since the newcomers had broken into the system. The battlegroup turned ponderously to meet the small, but not insignificant threat.

The 1059th found itself in the middle of one of the fiercest firefights it had ever been in, as space around them erupted with energy beams, drive trails, explosions and missile exhaust paths. They kept their distance, providing cover fire for Azure.

The 1st Squad, in turn, showed the 1059th just why they were the top squad in the fleet. Azure's nine enhanced fighters engaged in one of the most complex karatas sequences the 1059th had ever seen. From far away, the drive trails of the squadron almost looked like an intricate weave pattern. It was beautiful to watch.

And deadly. Max thought as he watched Azure's kill counts skyrocket while space around them lit up with the blue spherical explosions of downed Void vessels. So that's how an elite squadron fights.

Realizing that they had been drawn out by the two squadrons, the Void wasted no time in diverting their forces towards Azure, perceiving them as the greater threat.

"Phase Two" Max announced, as the enemy reacted according to his tactical plan. "Commence."

"Let's clear Azure's backs." Mithryl ordered.

The Void discovered, to their unpleasant surprise, that the 1059th packed a unique punch all of their own. What Admiral C'Tasi was able to achieve at a grand level, Mithryl was able to achieve through the use of his psychic abilities at the individual squad level of the battle.

The 1059th's leader relaxed as he felt the familiar vibe of his squad's karatas. They'd done this a thousand times, and it was as natural to him as breathing. For a few moments he was able to lose himself in the moment, and forget about the battle, the plots, the intrigue and just focus on what was in front of him.

As he led his squad's Dance of Death, Mithryl allowed himself to slip ahead in the time stream, keeping his team reacting to threats that hadn't yet materialized, allowing the 1059th to fight with their leader's foresight and seemingly inhuman speed.

It was Azure's turn to goggle as a squad half their size, and one-hundredth of their experience quickly matched Azure's kill ratio and then tipped it in their favor. In moments, they cleared the remaining foes from their vicinity, several minutes ahead of projections.

"I think we've been hustled." Chet Vazarian announced, as the last of the Void fighters disappeared in a sphere of blue energy.

"You've been holding out on us." Vawn Wen drawled, mock-accusingly.

"Anything to confess, Altaire?" Torrent joined in, good naturedly.

"N-not really." Mithryl managed, silently cursing himself for coming so close to being found out. He'd done his job too well. "We practice a lot."

Torrent looked at him strangely over the comm screen. "Uh huh..." He said, sounding dubious. Then his expression cleared and he smiled his famous smile. "You'll have to tell us all about it when we get drinks after this is all done. Our treat."