Chapter 12: A Move Forward

"So how did it feel to finally let go?" Dr. Truman asked me.

"Relieving" I said, being completely honest.

That was what had taken for me to finally come at peace with my actions.

"Well then, there's still more work to do. The neurologist got very accurate results from your device but you know, the more victims, the more precise the results are" The bloodthirsty man told me in a demanding voice.

"These are ALL criminals after all. They've done equally horrifying things as these men that took your family did" He once again stated.

I was walking back to my office. He was walking alongside me, trying to convince me to continue my work.

"Alright, in a few minutes just so the cleaners can clean up the mess that was made in that room" I said, uncaring at what would happen next.

My mind was blank. I didn't know what to think. I simply felt nothing. All I had now was my goal in mind and that was all I was sticking to. If this was what it took to get to it, then I'd have to do it.

I took a few notes on my computer about the functioning of the machine and put down ideas on what could be tweaked. I then got up and went back to room three. Everyone was still there, waiting for me, and the guards to get the other inmates. As they came in, the guards started strapping another man into the device. Once he was set and ready, I pressed the first button. The man screamed but once again, I felt nothing. I was immune to the damage I was causing. I didn't care until I remembered. Remembering what happened to my family, I encouraged myself to continue doing the horrifying things. If I didn't kill him now, who knows what damage he could do outside this place. Dr. Truman was right. These were other criminals, other murderers as well. They deserved death as much as my family's murderers did. So I continued, doing this, all night, killing one man after the other. I had become the very thing I detested but I didn't care. I couldn't think beyond that. I simply continued.

Midnight passed. I went to the cafeteria for lunch and that's when I bumped into Alan.

"Hi Amanda! So, how are you doing so far?" He asked me, in his naturally happy voice.

"I've learned to accept the way things are around here. Plus I've progressed a lot with my inventions"

"That's great! I knew you would find the way! By the way, can you come with me to my lab, I just want to show you my beautiful invention. My acid that I specifically designed so that it would melt everything in the human body, including hair and bone. It took some modifying of existing acids but the end result was perfect and much less messy. It's my masterpiece!" He delightfully said.

"Sure I'll come along after I finish eating" I responded.

After I finished eating, I told Alan I was ready and we both headed to his lab. It was a beautiful, spacious lab. At the corner of the room, there was a smaller room with an odd contraption with a large window in it.

"Is that...?"

"Yes it is! It's where bodies are placed so that they can be melted away. AND you get a full view! Isn't it beautiful?" He stated.

"It truly is fascinating" I said, observing the machine more carefully.

Next to it were a few large cans of the toxic chemical Alan was talking about. They had the "danger" signal printed on it.

"How does it work?" I asked with genuine curiosity.

"First, the can is inserted into the back over there and the machine takes care of opening it and inserting it into the tub where the person is placed. The machine also has a hatch so that the person could be placed inside safely. The machine is made out of a special substance that doesn't erode as easily as other metals do with this acid. After the can of acid and the person are inserted inside. These buttons over here are pressed to start the machine and make it begin pouring the acid on to the body. Only a small amount of acid is required due to its potent, strong, melting nature but you can control how much acid is inserted into the machine. Once the acid has done its work, which it usually does so in about 1 minute, all that's left is a bright red puddle. It's poured into an empty canister and disposed of properly" He said in all seriousness.