The Promise

Chapter 1

JensBakery. I go here every morning for my baked delights. Chocolate glazed donut with hot cocoa is my regular. I walk in to the bakery with a small smile on my face. People may look at me different but I don't care. I didn't think it'd matter if a large girl, like me, came here like a normal person, and ate. I am 60 pounds over-weight; I'm not saying it's something that I'm proud about, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it. The bakery is warm and smells like chocolate. It's small but it's cozy. There are booths along the walls and the counters have stools. I walk to the counter and Jennifer, the owner, smiles at me.

"Hi Esme," Jen says as she grabs my usual "how are you doing today?" Jennifer is an elderly woman. She has grey-blue eyes that are always warm and kind. She is battling stage four breast cancer. Her hair is gone and she has a purple scarf over her head. She is a kind, whole-hearted person.

"I'm doing fine Ms. J. How are you?" I ask her as I take a bite out of my donut. I always come to the counter, sit, and talk to Ms. J.

"I'm still breathing! I might have to give this place up to my niece. I don't know how long I can keep it running with my health." She says as she sets a rag she was using to wipe of the counters down. I'm really close to Jen. She's like the mom I never had. My mom died in a car accident eight years ago. I was 13 years old. I am now 21 and I have depended on food the last few years.

I start to get a bit teary eyed. I don't like that she is counting down. She has two months, as she said the doctor told her. I get my food down back on my plate and grab her hand. "Let's not think about that. Let's think about the good things, okay?" I tell her. I don't like that such a kind lady has to go through this. She nods in reply to me and I smile.

We make little conversation, like normal, and then she brings up something I don't like to talk about. "Can you make a compromise with me?" She asks me as I finish my breakfast. I set my mug on the table and wipe my face with a napkin. I look up at her with questioning eyes.

"What kind of deal are we putting up here?" I ask her. I am truly curious on what she has to say.

"When I die-" I put my hand up but she pushes it back down on the counter. "Let me finish. When I die, I want you to run the bakery." I look at her weird. I always wanted to run this bakery and learn the recipes!

"What's the catch?" I know she has something up her sleeve by the little glint in her eyes. She gives me a sly grin and says.

"You have to go to the gym. My grandson is a personal trainer there. He's 22 and he will help you with your eating problems." She says a little excited.

"Ms. J I know your concerned about my weight but I'm-" She cuts me off.

"Don't say your fine. I want you to be healthy and live a long live, my dear. I don't want you getting all these diseases that you could prevent and regret that you didn't fix it while you could." I instantly feel bad knowing that she wants me to be fit so I don't grow up and have all sorts of diseases. I hesitate but I know that this will be better for me emotionally and physically. I nodded.

Hi guys! I am trying a new story because I'm not sure I want to continue with the other one but I hope you guys like it and message me if you want to be a character in the story!! Please vote and comment!! Lots of love!!

NiallsBabie.