Chapter Eight

After that conversation with Hermione,  Draco planned ways on how to stay away from her,  and of course failing miserably considering the agreement he had with the order.

After Hermione left earlier,  he spent the next few hours comtemplating whether or not he should try to help the order. After all,  they are his only chance left. 

He planned to stay inside his room for the next few days still being angry at everything when someone knocked on his door.

Thinking it was Hermione, he tried to fake being asleep and didn't answer.

"Draco Malfoy,  I know you are awake. Would you be so kind to open the door? "

No,  it was indeed not Granger.  For the voice was very calm yet holds some authority that could make you hide away.  However,  it was also all too familiar.

"Professor McGonagall. " Draco greeted her as he opened the door.

"We need to talk. "

He simply nodded and closed the door.

After putting on the necessary charms to prevent eavesdroppers to listen in,  Draco began to sense that the conversation that they will have will not be just a simple 'how are you'.

"Draco,  let me assure you that I myself fully trust you. " McGonagall began.

The hard wall that Draco built beforehand are slowly breaking itself.  It is one thing to know that Hermione trusts him.  After all,  he knows that even though Hermione is wise and strong,  she also has a kind and understanding heart.

McGonagall however,  is different.  Being trusted by one person can somehow be enough for him, however,  it is an even greater joy to have two persons trust in you.

"However,  I am not only myself.  I am a leader of a group of endangered people so I cannot trust my own opinion for the welfare of everyone.  So I am very sorry to say,  Draco,  that we cannot accept your help in terms of the bases.  Simply,  because a lot still doesn't trust you. "

He understood of course.  He was a death eater.  How could one trust a death eater who killed their family?  No one.

"But we are still happy if you are willing to help in missions. However,  the rules still stand,  you are not allowed to know-"

"-yes,  I remember very well. And I shall comply to them. "

Truth be told,  he was supposed to be thankful for the order. Even though they hate him,  still,  he is alive and well. 

It is ill to think that they are only helping him because he could lead them to the dark lord's base. But maybe they are helping him because of Hermione?  It couldn't be. 

"And, as you may well know,  Hermione is your stronghold here,  Draco. "

Wait. Yes,  she did save him and all but isn't it too much to call her his stronghold?

"The majority insisted that you should be locked up and tortured for information,  Draco. "

Now,  it was Draco's turn to be shocked.

"Of course,  Hermione and Harry are against it so they fought for it.  In the end,  Hermione's wit overtook them all.  That is why this is how everyone treats you."

All this time,  he thought the anger of the order wasn't enough to kill him but actually it was. It was just a single lady who saved him from all that.

"So,  I suggest that you say what you want to say to her before she decide to give up on you,  although I can say that it is highly unlikely for her. "

Had he not shown enough gratitude to her? 

Of course not.  His subconscious remarks. 

The right question now is how?