1. Heard

1.

It was Rin's loud, cheerful laughter that echoed inside the bus, which broke the silence and really spoke something about a festive mood. Her bubbly voice was joined by Len's stifled snorts. Had the bus not been empty, save for Len, the driver and herself, people would have termed both friends a duo of crazy lunatics. They both knew this well, but still continued chortling like little children, without a care in the world.

"Oh my oranges, it was awesome wasn't it?!" her voice broke out with excitement after she was done laughing. Not really though- after speaking, she started laughing again.

Len turned towards her, tracing a finger along the corner of his eye, wiping away a tear that had occurred because of his excitement. He smiled at her.
"Of course," he replied with a nod, "Miku's parties are always the best."

She finally controlled her giggles and looked up at him. Her hands were wrapped around her stomach and she was very much in need of air. Her breathing was quick and ragged. Len noticed this and smirked.

"Too much joy, eh?"

"Ah... I...I...thi-think so" she garbled, still clutching her tummy. "Ah...My stomach hurts..."

"Well, I think it would", he replied with a laugh. He lightly smacked the back of her head.

She squealed, and pouted at him in mock anger.

"It's bad to laugh at your best friend when she's in pain." She stuck her tongue out at him.

He laughed again and put an arm round her shoulder. "Aw, I'm sorry bestie."

Her smile was immediately back on her face. Len playfully tousled her blonde hair as she laughed and looked away.

A small sigh escaped her lips as she looked out of the window.
"Look Len, the streets are decorated so well! Looks like everyone's excited for New Year, ne?" Excitement was evident in her voice.
She turned back to look at him momentarily to flash a big smile before turning back again.

He smiled, but did not say anything in reply. The atmosphere fell silent, with the only sound being of the quiet rumble of the bus and of Rin's soft humming.

She was gazing out the window, her fingers resting on the iron sill. Her eyes twinkled as she saw the different coloured lights and balloons that adorned the panes of all the shops that lined the street, and many groups of people eagerly waiting the start of a new year.

Len turned his head lightly so he could look at her. A small smile rested on her lips and her face was covered in childlike excitement.

He smiled. Rin was always like this, innocent and bubbly. There wasn't a single time she'd frown or cry. A smile was always present on her face. She was like a battery, a never-ending one. She was always filled with so much energy; it was hard to believe how she managed to sleep with all that hyperactivity inside her.

She was an adult, and still Len often compared her to someone no better than a 5 year old. She was always filled with questions, always bubbling with happiness, always laughing, always excited. She was also very careless. It was more than once that she had forgotten where she'd kept her own keys.

Len sighed when he thought about this.

But, she wasn't immature. She was smart and knew when to get serious. Actually, she was the wiser out of both of them.

She was a kid, a smart kid.

This was what drew him to her.

He couldn't help but smile at how she was busy admiring the view outside. The moon was full and bright that day. Her hair floated with the wind and her cerulean irises reflected the sheer moonlight.