His Lies

L A U R E N

The sun rose. It's glare burned through my window causing me to wake from my slumber. It was quiet beside from soft footsteps downstairs.

Dad's getting ready for work, which indicates it is around six o'clock. I grab my phone from the my bed side table, unhooking it from the charger.

6:13

It's very early but the sun was already up, beating me to it. I stood up from my messy bed and onto my white carpet room floor. Walking to my desk chair I grab my towel and walk to my restroom.

My usual school morning routine began in an instant.

-
•brush teeth/wash face

•shower

•get dressed

•wake John

•grab a fruit or pop tart

•get stuff together

•leave for school
-

I barge into Johnny's room. He is nowhere to be seen until he comes out from his restroom shirtless. I turn away from him to dress himself properly. Then I spin back to face him.

He was already out the door.

"Johnny!" I yell, racing after him.

He was already halfway down the stairs but I caught up just before the last step. Grabbing his wrist I yank him back.

He groans and faces me.

"Lauren why can't you mind your own business?" I huff.

"You are my older brother John. You're family. Which means whatever is happening between you and Mackenzie is my business." He furrows his eyebrows.

"That makes absolutely no sense."

"It doesn't have to." He scoffs and walks out of my grip.

"Johnny please!" I run after him again.

"Why are you so thirsty for drama and gossip?" I step back, offended.

"I-I...I'm not." I stutter.

He chuckles and picks his bag up from the kitchen counter.

"Sure you aren't. Just a word of advice though Laur, you might want to check on how things are going with Mackenzie. She might have mentioned some things to me." The front door opens and closes leaving me all alone.

He's lying. He's probably just trying to make me distracted.

I tell myself this over and over. But I couldn't leave it alone. So I made a call and waited for the bait.

6:51

I close Kenzie's car door. She's driving me, because I made some lame excuse about my car tire popping when all I had to do was ask.

This is Mackenzie. My best friend in the whole universe. The person I share all my secrets with. She was my first best friend being socially awkward. And yet I still feel this void of awkwardness.

Or at least that's what Johnny is trying to make me think.

Maybe I was the only one feeling it but it seemed so much easier to be her friend before her departure. Heck, it felt easier to be her friend on screen than now... I think.

I never had to lie to her. But if I did she would have known right away. I was so happy to have her back that I didn't realize that I might not be happy.