Chapter 6 - Easier Than Expected

Aaron didn't have the pleasure of waking on his own the next morning, and neither did Tara. Rather they were woken up by a swift kick in the legs. Aaron woke with a start, his heart already racing and his brow dampened with sweat. He'd had a night mare last night, and the memory of it still lingered, because the very nightmare he imagined was standing over him with a sneer. Vic grinned and squatted down in front of Aaron, his yellow-stained teeth and stale morning breath making the boy squirm. "Good morning," Vic breathed, the simple gesture a mocking reminder that Aaron couldn't even see the daylight. For all he knew, it could still be dark outside. "I've got a surprise for you, kid." Vic straightened up and pulled a pocket knife from his pocket. As he stood, Aaron realized that Lee and Mike were there as well, standing behind their leader like a couple of body guards.

At the sight of the knife, Tara let out a whimper of fear from beside Aaron. He glanced at her with concern, while Vic glared. "Shut that one up," he growled, at which Mike immediately moved to gag her again. "I'm not listening to that whining today. As for you," he added, looking down at Aaron again. "I've set up a personal room for you." He knelt back down and reached behind Aaron to cut the bonds around his wrists. For half a second, he considered whether or not he had enough power in his swing to throw a punch at Vic and attempt an escape, but he thought better of it and sat complacently still. "Come on," Vic said, grabbing Aaron's shoulder, "On your feet." He shoved Aaron roughly toward Lee, who caught him by his arm none too gently. "Take him upstairs. Leave the girl, she's no use to us."

Aaron was then being dragged toward the door on the opposite side of the room, his mind reeling and Tara's muffled cries disappearing behind him. Suddenly, Mike's voice reached his ears. "Should we open the warehouse?" He was asking Vic, "She'll be out of our hair faster if we just let some walkers in with her." Tara screamed again, though no one heard it through her gag, and Aaron suddenly struggled to look over his shoulder.

"No!" He yelled, his voice echoing back to him as Vic glared in his direction.

"No?" Vic snarled, glancing down at Tara. He looked slowly back up at Aaron. "What gives you the right —"

"Please," Aaron interrupted, surprised that Lee's hold on him seemed to lessen the slightest bit to let him turn fully to face Vic. "Let her come with me."

Vic stared, his jaw set and his eyes venomous. "Get him out of here, Lee," he demanded, "One more word from him and I'll shoot the bitch."

Lee roughly turned Aaron around and shoved him towards the door again. He didn't say anything else, for fear of Vic's threat, but as he craned his neck to look over his shoulder at Tara, he could see the last, pleading look of terror in her eyes before Lee was closing the door behind them. They were closed off in a dimly lit hallway now, doors on either side of them and a staircase at the opposite end. "Keep your mouth shut," Lee instructed, his voice low as he led Aaron toward the stairs. "I'll be bringing you lunch in about an hour, and Vic will bring you dinner later. If he speaks to you, do as you're told, understand?"

Aaron nodded, and they began to ascend the stairs together. Lee's hand was very loose on his upper arm. If he wanted to, he could have easily pulled free and run for it, but he had no idea how to get out of the warehouse, besides the huge mechanical doors in the front, which he could hear screeching open in the distance. Even if he could get there, he would have to go through Vic and Mike first. Tears pricked at his eyes, and he felt a strong pang of guilt for having left Tara to die in the warehouse. He couldn't dwell on it for long, however, as they reached the third floor of the building and Lee led him to a nearby door, which he unlocked with a key from his pocket. He pushed open the door to reveal what looked like a small bedroom, through it was far from welcoming.