Part 5: Never Go Running Alone

I spent the rest of the night tossing and turning. No matter how much I tried, I couldn’t shake this sinking feeling. Glancing at the clock it was finally 6am, so I pulled my tired body out of bed.  Dragging out some yoga pants and a sweatshirt, I headed to the bathroom to brush my teeth and pulled up my hair. Taking a look in the mirror, I barely recognized myself. I looked tired, pale and my eyes appeared to be sunken in and hollow; thanks to the dark circles under them.  

Heading into Grace’s room, I pulled the covers off her.

“Grace, rise and shine! You’re going running with me.”

“Mom, you’re must be crazy? It’s 6:15 on a Saturday. Left me sleep. Sheesh!” Grace groaned as she pulled up her covers back over her head.

“Come on. For me… Pleeaasse…” I begged. Getting no response I started bouncing on the side of the bed. “Come on, do it for your Momma. I’ll let you get a coffee at that little shop down the road.”  I kept trying to get her to move; after a few minutes of failed attempts I gave up. “Fine, I’ll go alone.” Huffing, I got up to leave.  “I’m taking your i-pod.”

Slipping on my runners, I popped in her ear-buds and locked the front door. Stretching for a few minutes, I headed down the street; watching the sun rise over the tree line.

**********

Returning this morning, I figured I’d check out my brother’s habits. Knowing when he comes and goes will allow me to make my move flawlessly when the time is just right. Watching from a distance, I couldn’t believe my luck. I thought I would have to wait days before getting her alone. Pacing her, just out of sight; I watched and listened. I had to make sure my wonderful brother was nowhere to be seen. I was amazed he wasn’t tagging along, keeping his eye on her. Laughing to myself; he’s such a fool.

After about twenty minutes of following my precious angel, I couldn’t believe my luck. She’d turned onto a jogging path, which ran through a highly dense wooded area. Sprinting ahead of her, I waited on the path; ready to give her the surprise of her life.

Hearing her coming near; slowly her figure appeared around the bend. She must have been distracted in thought, since she didn’t seem to notice me at first. Suddenly, she stopped dead in her tracks.

“Hello, my precious angel.” I called to her, as I motioned to her.

“Klaus!” I heard her cry out, as her features changed with the realization I was actually standing before her. It tickled me to watch her face change from utter shock to petrified fear in the matter of seconds. With no hesitation, she turned and took off running back the way she had come.

Laughing loudly, I called out after her. “You can’t get away that easy, little one.” Taking off after her, I once again appeared before her in the middle of the path. Hearing her scream out for help, I grabbed ahold of my Angel, Pulling her body against mine; covering mouth. I could hear others on the path behind us. Sensing the urgency in them, they seemed to be picking up their pace over the commotion Ava had made. Quickly, I lugged her struggling against me, into the woods.  

 *********

Knowing that Ava didn’t usually wake before 7:30, I headed to the house; taking my daily post in back garden, along the tree line. Everything was still silent. Assuming both Grace and Ava were still I sleep, I stalked up to her room. I enjoyed listening to Ava sleep. It was the closest I could get to her without her knowing I was there. Hoping that in her dreams she could find a sense of peace. Even though I knew it was more than unlikely, if I could change how she felt I would. Over the past few weeks, her depression was taking its toll on her. The sadness was over powering, and it was heart wrenching to watch her wither away.