=4=

The ride into town was long and bumpy but the closer they drew to the ocean, the warmer and fresher the air seemed to grow. Eventually, the lavish new scenery was enough to pull Preminger from his brooding state and to the side of the wagon which he leaned across, watching with wide eyes as this new world passed him by. He had never seen the ocean and he had not once in his 10 years been to the city.

The tall buildings packed side by side and the paved roads and the streets bustling with activity despite the chill in the air — it was all rather magnificent to him. In the distance he could see the silhouette of the castle of the royal family, looming above the rooftops like a watchful giant. He looked up at it and swallowed, his tongue like sandpaper in his mouth.

Finally they reached the orphanage. It was on the poorer end of town and was presented as a shabby old building in need of funding. There were many windows which suggested it was poorly ventilated and stuffy in the summer, and of course, drafty in the winter. It was perhaps 3 floors tall and sat at the corner of the road, its only neighbors the markets that were unpopulated at this time of year.

"Get up" the officer who had transported him commanded. His voice was low and gruff and he wore a scowl across his scarred face. Preminger was quick to oblige.

Hastily they made their way over to the building and with a heavy fist, the officer pounded on the old door. The wood trembled against the sudden force and Preminger feared it would give in. It was only a moment before the door was pulled open and standing in its frame was a young woman.

She was slender and with dark skin, the curve of her lips rested in a melancholy smile. A tattered dress covered her thin frame and a woolen shawl was draped across her shoulders. She was humble in appearance, but Preminger thought her beautiful.

"The rascal from the valley" the officer explained to her, reaching into his massive pockets and withdrawing a thin stack of sloppily folded papers. He held them out to her. "This should cover everything."

Carefully she took the papers from his massive paws and unfolded them, her expression twinging in sympathy as she skimmed over the content. Preminger blushed. The officer took no notice.

"Right then, there should be nothing left to settle. Unless I need 'ta sign him off or something?"

"No, sir" The woman replied, eyes still resting on the documents. "He's all covered."

The officer nodded curtly and then turned back to the wagon upon which he had arrived. In moments, he had disappeared back into the city.

" 'Nother mouth to feed," the woman in the door frame said with a sigh, folding the papers and slipping them into her dress pocket. "God help us." Then, taking closer note of the young boy standing before her, "You poor thing must be freezin. Come on in, we'll get you settled."

She extended a hand to him and he gingerly took it, allowing her to lead him inside; her palms were calloused but her touch was soft. Preminger took notice of the subtle limp in her stride.

"Here" she said as they paused before a sunlight filled room. "Wait while I go get the master of the house."

Preminger watched her until she was out of sight. Then, quietly, he made his way to the corner of the room and sat by the window. There were a few children in the room with him, a pair of boys playing in the opposite corner and a group of little girls playing dress up with rag dolls. They all had in common the pitiful look of starving urchins.

Preminger let out a breath and closed his eyes, leaning back in the old wooden chair and watching the sunlight dance across the back of his eyelids. In his mind he was back on the farm, breathing in the clean country air, his father beside him, and nothing above them but the open sky.