Summer Camp

(Not a mud fic, but its kinda short and not really gonna go anywhere. X3 )

Camp. Sucked.

I had heard about the miraculous "Summer Camp" where everyone is friendly and accepting and you all ride horses and go swimming and take nice hikes and have lunch all together at a big table where no one is left out.

Well i have no idea what camp they went to but it certaintly wasnt here.

Here... it was like high school all over again. But if i wanted to go to highschool, i'd just take summer classes! At least then the rooms would be properly air conditioned!

I flopped onto the top bunk bed that i had been assigned and tried to block out the sound of the 7 girls in the cabin.

(Exposition time!)
My name is Arin. I was born with a uterus, and everything that came with it. This is how i found out that the camp isnt as accepting as i thought it would be. Since my birth certificate and ID still said female, i was put into a female cabin. Some people have been using they/them pronouns, and a few nicer people tried to use he/him, but got yelled at by a counselor. If i was in a girls cabin, he couldn't be a boy.

Not that it really mattered, im gay anyways.

At first i thought it might be better to be in a girls cabin, but dam, girls are LOUD.

Theres one girl who sleeps across from my bed on the bottom bunk who is really quiet. Shes one of the people who tried to use he/him pronouns, and still does whenever she can. Shes even convinced most of the girls in the cabin to use he/him when they could, though a couple still stick with they/them, which, i figure, was better than nothing.

After the first week the quiet girl, odette, started.... knitting? She pulled out a large black-purple-and-silver ball of yarn and two long needle and started jumbling the yarn into an organized mess. She worked on it every night when they got into the cabin for curfew as she listened to the other girls stories of the day.

They were really kind of a family...

Then one night, almost six weeks into camp, odette knocks on the little sliding door on the end of my bed leading to the stairs and closet.

I sit up and stare at the door for a moment. I could see her legs out of the side of the bed. I open the door cautiously and sees her sitting there, holding a small wraped gift in her hands.

"Hello, arin!"

She smiles as she says my name.

"Uh... hey"

She chuckles lightly and lightly extends the gift to me.

"I, uh... made you something..."

I raised my eyebrow, cautiously and curiously taking the package.

"U-uh, wh-whats the ocas-sion?"

Dam that stutter

"No occation. I just.. i had an idea i wanted to try out. Im a really creative person so if i can use my creativity to make something for someone i will."

Her smile was blinding, but in a good way. She almost seem proud, but not. She was definitly excited, but also nervous. I blush lightly.

I turn the package over and tear the folded triangles off, then unfolding the rest and taking out a bag of sticker wall hooks and two medium-small pices of black-purple-and-silver fabric.

Knitted.

Each had three loops across one side.

I blinked.

They were curtains.

"I.. i-is, is this, i-i-is this, is this what you-youve been working o-on? F-f-for the pas-past five weeks?"

She blushed this time.

"Oh, you noticed"

I nodded. She looked down, the back up at me, then to the side if the bunk.

"Well, here, let me help you put them up."

She grabbed two hooks and climbed out of the "hall" onto the edge of the bunk. I lurched forward to try to grab at her from the door, but she was alreay there.

"W-what are you doing!!

She looked down at me, confused.

"Putting up the curtains! What else?"

I sighed and left her to finish, leaning back and pulling out my phone. Once the curtains were up she sat back in the "hall" and looked at the curtains through the bed.

"so, what'dya think?"

I dropped my phone onto my stomach and looked at the fabric. the light shone through it made it look kind of like stars. I chuckled.

"Its beautiful."

"Dam, you're a bigger sap than I am."

We both laughed. I stared at her for a moment, and she stared at me.

Then our camp counselor came in, yelled for bed, and turned off my stars. I sighed.

"She turned off my stars"

Odette giggled, then said,

"Guess I should head to my bed."

"Guess so. Thanks again."

"You're welcome! It was fun. Goodnight Arin."

"Goodnight Odette."