Herobrine

I had recently spawned a new world in single-player Minecraft. Everything was normal at first as I began chopping down trees and crafting a workbench. I noticed something move among the dense fog (I have a very slow computer so I have to play with a tiny render distance). I thought it was a cow, so I pursued it, hoping to grab some hides for armor.

It wasn't a cow though. Looking back at me was another character with default skin, but his eyes were empty. I saw no name pop up, and I double-checked to make sure I wasn't in multi-player mode. He didn't stay long, he looked at me and quickly ran into the fog. I perused out of curiosity, but he was gone.

I continued on with the game, not sure what to think. As I expanded to world I saw things that seemed out of place for the random map generator to make; 2x2 tunnels in the rocks, small perfect pyramids made of sand in the ocean, and groves of trees with all their leaves cut off. I would constantly think I saw the other "player" in the deep fog, but I never got a better look at him. I tried increasing my render distance to far whenever I thought I saw him, but to no avail.

I saved the map and went on the forums to see if anyone else had found the pseudo-player. There were none. I created my own topic telling of the man and asking if anyone had a similar experience. The post was deleted within five minutes. I tried again, and the topic was deleted even faster. I received a PM from user name 'Herobrine' containing one word: 'Stop.' When I went to look at Herobrine's profile, the page 404'd.

I received an email from another forum user. He claimed the mods can read the forum user messages, so we were safer using email. The email-er claimed that he had seen the mystery player to, and had a small 'directory' of other users who had seen him as well. Their worlds with littered with obviously man-made features as well, and described their mystery player to have to pupils.

About a month passed until I heard from my informant again. Some of the people who had encountered the mystery man had looked into the name Herobrine and found that name to be frequently used my a Swedish gamer. After some further information gathering, it was revealed to be the brother of Notch, the game's developer. I personally emailed Notch, and asked him if he had a brother. It took him a while, but he emailed me back a very short message.

I did, but he is no longer with us.

— Notch