Chapter 1

Roman was swimming around the purple regions, He always believed this was the most beautiful part of the kingdom. Everything seemed to look normal until he reached the outer part of the region, There he saw a purple-tailed merman had gotten caught by a fishing net, Luckily the merman still appeared to be conscious.

Roman quickly swam towards him, His tail fin seemed to be severely damaged. He swiftly unwrapped the man and pulled him out to get a better look at him. He couldn't help but stare Now this was most definitely the most beautiful sight he's ever seen. The purple of the man's hair matched that of his tail, His skin was pale but that was to be expected, Merfolks of the purple region don't exactly live as close to the surface as the people of his region nor do they go to the surface as much the other regions. His eyes were a soft brown, Roman could see his imperfections too. He had deep and dark bags under his eyes and a big scar ran down his chest. He didn't realize he was staring as his eyes fell upon the stranger's lips, They were soft and....Moving, "You never seen a purple tailed Merman before?" The strangers dry voice snapped him out of it, He felt his face heat up and backed away a bit, Rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. "I have, I'm sorry for staring." He said letting out an embarrassed laugh.

Roman's eyes drifted down to his tail and he suddenly remembered the condition of his tail, "Oh! Your tail! I can take you to my friend, He's a healer for the royal palace." Roman suggested- He knew him from the royal palace, Roman was a noble but he didn't exactly throw that around. The stranger nodded hesitantly and Roman smiled, "Can you move your tail?" He asked remembering all of those times Logan had asked him after he had injured his tail. The man moved his tail a few times, "Yes, But my fin is broken so I can't really get anywhere." He said rubbing his tail almost out of habit. Roman felt his tail brush against his but he didn't pay mind to it, "Okay, I'm Roman and you are?" He asked propping him up in his arms almost bridal style. "Virgil." He responded, Definitely not the strangest name he's ever heard.

Virgil stared down at his tail, His heart dropped in his chest, It had changed from solid purple to a red to purple gradient. Virgil couldn't believe this, He met his soulmate-He met his soulmate like this, Virgil internally groaned, Nice going Virgil, You met your soulmate because you were stupid enough to get caught in a fish net again. He thought to himself crossing his arms. Stupid, Stupid, STUPID! He shouted at himself inside his mind, As a merkid, he was always made fun of because he was stupid enough to get trapped in multiple fishnets, His mother had always reassured him that he was in fact, Not stupid for getting stuck in them. He believed her as a kid but stopped once he hit 13, Then he started getting stuck in them more and more sometimes on purpose, He figured maybe one of these times maybe, Just maybe, It would kill him and the tournament would stop. But, Alas, It never worked.

Soon enough they were at the royal hospital wing, Virgil took a guess that the octoman was the healer, His tentacles were a blue to slightly darker blue gradient and he wore black-rimmed glasses. He looked strict and to be honest Virgil was kind of intimidated. He heard Roman explain what happened, "Do you think you can fix it?" Roman asked The octoman whose name tag read 'Logan' examined the tail fin then stepped back, "Of course, My Lord." Logan said, Virgil internally groaned- He was a noble, Great, His family would never approve of some idiot from the purple region being with him. Roman smiled- Fuck that's cute, Virgil thought as he was placed on one of the hospital beds. Logan wrapped Virgil's fin with some sort of medical bandages that looked like they were from the human world, Logan let out a hum of satisfaction "There, You should be healed in a few weeks time and it will be perfectly fine to swim but just in case a royal guard will escort you home." Logan said, Virgil, sat up on the bed "Thank you." Logan offered him a half smile, "It's no problem...I see you're soulmates with Roman." He said gesturing to his tail, Virgil nodded as he felt his face heat up, "Yeah." He said sheepishly, Logan sighed "I advise that you give him a chance, Roman's a loyal man, He'd be good to you." Logan said looking around to make sure Roman wasn't around.