Cole

"Fag!" I hit the ground and struggled to catch my breath. My vision went black. I couldn't see anything, but I could hear everything. Every time his foot connected with my ribs or my stomach, I fought harder to catch my breath. He started to say something else but I couldn't understand him that well. Once I had caught most of my breath, I could start to see again. I looked up at him, almost as if begging for mercy. The bell rang and he turned to walk out the door. As he turned, I reached up for the sink to help pull myself up. I reached up for the sink and started to pull myself up, when George turned around and punched me one last time before we walked out of the bathroom as if nothing ever happened. I laid there almost completely motionless. Besides the occasional cough or gasp for air, it would appear as if I weren't just beaten to death. The late bell rang and I didn't care. I have been late twelve times this month because of George. This is becoming pretty routine at this point. All because I flirted with his sister's boyfriend. I pulled myself up and started to wash blood off of my face. I stood there staring at myself through the mirror. It was only first period. I couldn't stay in school. But how was I gonna get home? I finished cleaning myself up and walked out into the hallway. I started walking towards my first period class and made myself throw up just as I walked in the door. The whole class started gagging. One girl even got up and ran to the bathroom. Of course George was in that class. He stood up almost immediately and offered to walk me down to the nurse. Before I could "politely" decline his offer, our teacher was already thanking him for being so generous. I faked a smile and walked out of the class with him. George grabbed me by the back of my neck, leaned in close and whispered "Listen close, Cole, I highly suggest you stay away from Cayleb." I didn't say anything and just kept walking. When we got to the nurse, he shoved me into the wall and turned around to walk back to class. I walked into the nurse and told her I threw up. She called my mom and sent me home. When my mom got to the school and picked me up I refused to make eye contact with her. We walked out to the car and I could feel her staring at me questioningly. "George?" She started the car, not taking her eyes off me. I looked out my window and slightly nodded. "When are you going to stand up for yourself Cole?" She finally looked away and I felt so relieved. I didn't answer her. The ride home was quiet and awkward. We pulled into the driveway and I saw a car I didn't recognize, two of them actually. "Uh, mom? Who's here?" She didn't answer me and just got of the car and walked inside. I was extremely confused at that point and followed her inside. When I got inside I started walking to the kitchen. "Living room, please." I looked at her with a really confused look on my face. Whenever she picked me up for being "sick" she just let me go to my room. I followed her as she walked out to the living room. As we walked into the living room I saw some familiar faces and some not so familiar faces. I saw my ex girlfriend, Sadie. Sitting besides Sadie was her mom, then her dad, then a man I didn't recognize. The man was bald with s short, straggly beard. He almost looked like a shrink. What we're all these people doing here? My eyes followed my mom as she sat down. Once I saw who she was sitting next to my jaw dropped.

My mother was sitting next to the boy of my dreams.

Cayleb Jones.