{ 4 }

After telling Charm all that, I thought our relationship would at least step up even just a little bit. I basically poured my heart in those statements. Wasn’t that a confession in itself? Apparently, she didn’t think so. Either she was just too damn naïve, or she was pretending that yesterday didn’t happen. If the latter was the case, wouldn’t that either mean she didn’t like me that way or she thought I didn’t like her that way? I wasn’t the hopeful type, so I guess she just viewed me as a friend. She loved me as a friend. That sucks, because I don’t just love her. I’m in love with her.

Is it wrong to fall in love with someone whom you only knew for a short while? If it is, then why does it feel so right? I felt like I knew her, but at the same time, I don’t. I knew that she had caramel hair and chocolate eyes, and that she was an undeniably strange girl, and that she never settled on a shake flavour, on a channel or on anything, at all, and I knew that I was hopelessly and irrevocably in love with her, and there was nothing she could do to change that. Heck, there was nothing I could do to change that.

I didn’t know love but I knew I was in love. I didn’t know her but I knew I was in love with her.

I wasn’t a writer, but I could write a novel all about her. I wasn’t a poet, but I was already forming a poem on my head the very moment I laid my eyes on her. I wasn’t an artist, but I could draw her with my eyes closed, and just the memory I had of her face as basis, and I wouldn’t miss any single detail.

I wasn’t a romantic, but goddamn, I’m starting to be one.

When I walked inside the room, I knew I was too early. I didn’t expect anyone to be present at that hour, which was thirty-three minutes before class. I guess I didn’t excel in the area of prediction. Sitting alone on the third row was a girl. The first thing I noticed was that she didn’t have caramel hair, so I lost my interest almost right away. Hearing my footsteps, she looked at the back and spotted me. She smiled, and the sides of her eyes crinkled a little as she did so. “Hey Davin.” Her eyes were not chocolate brown, that’s what I was thinking as greeted me. But then I realized later on that she was pretty, with her green eyes and brown hair. Just brown. Not blonde, not caramel.

Maybe I was so stuck on Charm that I did not notice such beauty existed in our class. I may be apathetic, but I was still a guy, and my interest with that of a normal guy do not differ that much. I didn’t even know her name. And we were classmates this whole time.

“Hi,” I replied, a little awkwardly since technically, she was a stranger to me.

She laughed—giggled, the way how most girls laugh. Just faintly, and it didn’t seem like they were happy at all while they were laughing. It felt like they laugh because they were supposed to laugh, and not because they found something genuinely amusing. Nonetheless, I would be a hypocrite if I’d say that it wasn’t pleasant to hear. “You don’t know me, do you?”

“I—uh, no,” I admitted.

She laughed-giggled again, then cocked her head a little to the side with a sweet smile tugged on her lips. “Guess.”

I inwardly groaned. How could I guess a name? I went with the first name that I thought of. Well, second. The first name was Charm, but she never left my mind, so there. “Diana?”

“Nope,” she said, popping the p.

“I give up.”

Her eyebrows furrowed a bit. “You only guessed once.”

I shrugged. “And it wasn’t right,” I said as I walked up to my seat, which was on the fifth row, one seat between the window, Charm’s seat. Her forehead creased by my action. Maybe she expected me to sit beside her or a little closer to her, since we were having a conversation—sort of. I find it unnerving to do so, so I chose my original seat. Besides, I wanted the short chat to be kept short. It’s not that I didn’t want to talk to her. Okay, maybe it was, but it wasn’t because of her or anything. I just didn’t like talking. Unless it was with Charm, that is. She brings out my talkative side that I thought had not at all existed.