{ 3 }

Nothing good ever comes out of fascination. I had learned that the hard way. When I was six years old, I was terribly addicted to this online game a cousin of mine recommended. Since it was summer, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to give it a try. Unfortunately, it wasn’t only a try, since I basically spent my whole days playing the damned game, leaving short pauses for eating meals and other necessities. I was fine with it, my mother was fine with it and my father did not give a flying fig. Everything was fine. Well, my definition of fine, until I started to neglect those necessities too. I wasn’t supposed to be fine with that, because I started leaning on the support of junk foods to fill my appetite. I barely had enough sleep, sometimes none at all, because I’d stay up all night to play it. My mother wasn’t fine with that, no, she was furious. At least my father still didn’t care. Heck, I could jump off a bridge and he wouldn’t bat an eye.

Well, to hell with that. To hell with him.

Anyways, enough of the shitty old man, after an endless nagging and some reprimands, my mother finally got me to stop.

“Listen, Davin—”

“I will stop playing it,” I said simply, clearly and firmly.

She was about to say something then paused and blinked on my sudden agreement. “What?”

“I said, I’ll stop playing the game,” I repeated and let out a soft yawn, stretching my arms. I was only starting to realize the bad health effects of that detrimental hobby of mine. I can’t believe I was able to skip the only activity of significance: sleeping.

Slowly, she took in my words. Her forehead creased as she faced me with slightly widened eyes. “W-Why did you agree that quickly?”

I flopped into the bed, glad to be in the embrace of the soft covers again. “I already predicted that this conversation will pop out of absolute nowhere during family reunions, if I had not agreed. That, and if I argued more, you would have just cut my internet connection anyway.”

“I do not bring up lectures during family reunion!” I heard her insist, before I close my eyes and wandered in my dreams right after. Soon enough, she was talking to a sleeping person.

So yeah, nothing good ever comes out of fascination. I knew that. I had my fair share of experience. It was anything but good.

What more if that certain attraction was directed to someone?

That was worse.

I couldn’t help it. She had this thing about her, and it kept me hanging on.

When she ran late in class, her hair would still be damp, cascading down her sides, like rippling caramel. I felt like I could hear how the water drops touched the cemented ground. And that kept me hanging on. Some strands would be left across her face, hiding her eyes the color of chocolate, and I badly wanted to tuck it behind her ear, so I could be lost in her eyes. It kept me hanging on.

When she ate her favorite bread, she would take small bites, deliberately, then bigger ones. A crumble or two would be left on her cheek, only a little bit from the corner of her pink lips. I would always lean close to her and wipe them, receiving a grateful smile from her, which kept me hanging on.

When she looked at him, I felt like she was trying to solve me, that I was an unfathomable riddle, and she took the time to unravel. She made me feel special. She told me I was different. And it kept me hanging on.

She kept me hanging on.

Even if she’s strange as hell.

Even if she’s a gifted liar.