•Chapter 1•

*8 Years Ago*

Ally's POV:

Penny (Mom): Have a good day sweetie!

I didn't smile widely like I should've. I just hopped out of the car and shut it behind me. I hate school. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! No one here likes me. No one. Everyone picks on me. Whats wrong with me? I pushed open the doors to school and walked down the long hallway. I suddenly felt a big shove behind me. It pushed me so hard I fell to the ground. All the kids around me stood in a circle and laughed. My glasses fell off my face. A kid grabbed them.

Kid: *sarcastically* Oops! You dropped these! I think you'll need them.

Then he threw them right in front of me. I wanted so badly to cry. But I never did. I didn't want to act like a baby in front of everyone. I just grabbed my glasses and pushed through the crowd of people. I finally made it to my locker. I clicked it open and quickly grabbed everything from my backpack that I took home. I put my glasses on the top shelf. I may not be able to see, but it's the only choice I have just to get some pressure taken off from my shoulders. I slammed the door shut and raced to my classroom.

•Recess•

I sat on the cement sidewalk leaning up against the fence surrounding the playground. I looked around at all of this kids playing around, chasing each other in a game of tag, drawing with chalk. I wish I could play with them. But no one would let me play. I sighed and brought my legs to my stomach. I buried my face into them and cried. No teacher ever noticed me back here. I was too small and weak to find. I felt some hot tears stream down onto my legs. I did this every recess. Sometimes I would think to myself. Sometimes I would watch the children play. But mostly, I cried. Then, a movement around me almost made me jump. I felt someone sit next to me. My head slowly lifted off my legs. I looked with my misty eyes seeing that a small blonde haired boy had sit next to me. I wiped my eyes and got a better look at him.

???: Hi. :)

I gave him a crooked expression. I wasn't in the mood to smile.

???: Whats your name?

Ally: ... Why?

???: *shrugs* So we can be friends!

I stared at him. Was this kid joking or something? Is he being serious?

???: My name is Austin Moon. :)

I looked over at him.

Austin: Can you tell me your name?

Ally: ... A-.. Ally Dawson..

He smiled.

Austin: I like that name. :)

I stared at him, then felt my lips form a crooked smile. Austin scooted closer to me and looked at my face. I turned to him and noticed he was eyeing something.

Austin: Why are you crying?

I quickly wiped away more of the leftover tears.

Ally: Im not.

Austin: Do you wanna talk about it?

I rubbed my eyes a little more, then stared at him. He wants to... talk to me?

Ally: Why do you want to talk to me?

Austin: To make you feel better.

He smiled at me. I could feel my eyes get watery. The scene from this morning in the hall played over and over again in my head. I felt a warm tear run down my cheek. Austin's arm came around me. I looked up at him, realizing I was sinking closer and closer to him.