Chapter 2: Bad Memories

Destiny had arrived at her old friend Amanda's house. She was an old high school buddy of Destiny's and now works as an advanced theoretical technical research developer for various government contracts. For the most part, only her closest friends refer to her as Amy. She had sat at her computer rolling up a 'doobie' in her basement which was also her bedroom. I guess that could be classified as an 'IKEA' health hazard as most of her stuff was from IKEA, but it's the marquee hangout for Amy and her friends, which is probably also a reason why her own parents and sister don't come around very often. Amy was obsessed with IKEA. It was a long week of work and Amy liked to unwind playing online games and chilling with Destiny. They shared a bottle of 'Absolute Plum' vodka, Destiny's favourite, Amy would add prune juice to her glass, though Destiny could never figure out why. She sat in Amy's old recliner in the corner of the basement in front of a massive wall mounted flat screen television playing "Terminator: Worlds End" a pretty grotesque film from the "Terminator" series. At least Amy knew how to live in style, she may look poor but is a lot wealthier than she looked. Destiny hesitated and told Amy, about some pretty revelling dreams she was having and Amy was the only friend she trusted with that knowledge. Amy looked over at Destiny and seemed a bit freaked out. She reached over to Destiny and grabbed the vodka from her that she was chugging away.

          "Screw that loser! I don't know why you put up with crap from that dweeb. Seems to me, you're just a pushover of a little girl." Amy swigs from the bottle and passes the bottle back to Destiny who just downs more of the bizarre booze, which is practically all gone.

          "He's not a bad person, just intensely focused. He had a bad childhood -- dad was an abusive alcoholic, couldn't keep a job and just beat the crap out of him on occasion too. He just doesn't want to live like that ever again -- I can't fault him for that." Destiny does make an attempt to defend Mark but doesn't succeed either.

           "Again I say, forget that loser! Leave that sorry putz, pathetic idea of a boy. He isn't worth it girl. He knows I can see through his fake personality. Why do you think most twinks like him are freaking mental cases? They can't understand their damn emotions." Amy continues to belittle Mark, not caring that her opinions are harsh, to the point but honest. After all, she dated him before Destiny and knows how he treats women, sort of like Donald Trump in an all you can eat McDonald's buffet. Amy takes another swig from the bottle now even closer to empty. She turns on the TV to TSN and the main pay-per-view UFC match with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson versus Vin Diesel in an all-out grudge match was about to start.

         "He doesn't like you 'cause he thinks you're a bad influence on me--" Destiny says as Amy swigs another sip.

          "--you prick, you are asking me to drink with you! Matter of fact, gimme my bottles back ya emotional fountain --" She snatches the bottle before Destiny touches it to her lips again splashing some of it on her while grabbing it.

          Destiny glares at Amy.

          "Talking 'bout I'm a bad influence. I knew you long before your butt got all corporate miss prissy. I knew Mark before you and he even did anything. Hell, I'm still having nightmares from that screwed up piece of cow." She snapped back harshly.

Amy at this point was starting to get irate with the crap she thought Mark was pulling on Destiny. Amy pulls something from beneath some clutter surrounding her computer of what looks like a piece of paper. She flings it like a Frisbee toward Destiny's face, who catches it single-handed in mid-air. She's pleasantly surprised at the picture of Amy and herself as bare-faced preteens ten years ago. She reflected on the memory from the time they were at Birch Bay Ranch on the edge of the lake. Summer camp was a great time and she missed it dearly.