Chapter 5: Disasters of circumstance

Destiny laid awake in her bed, drenched in sweat. She woke up at home and barely remembered the gathering from last night. She had some remembrance of what happened, but for the most part, it was quite the blur after drinking that strange concoction of a drink she had. She turned over and shut off her alarm and headed for the shower. After finishing her daily routine, Destiny went to sit down on her couch with a bowl of cereal in one hand and the T.V. remote in the other. As she started flipping through them and caught the word "wave" being said repeatedly. Destiny stopped eating and sat up straight on the couch paying more attention to the news station on the television. The news reporter broadcasting from inside of a helicopter hovered just over a partially submerged casino near the bay area. She intently stares at the news with a sense of shock and puzzlement. The reporter started his story in the traditional all reporters do, with style.

          "The situation is simply devastating here in Vancouver, Canada. The degree of damage is impossible to gauge at the moment. Some say 50 billion dollars; while others estimate 500 billion dollars worth of property damage has been caused by the tidal wave that struck the coast Victoria, British Columbia sweeping over the island as if it just wasn't there and levelled the Vancouver and the surrounding area, just before sunrise early this morning. Vancouver Island had been completely destroyed and the tides had gone inland some 100 miles. The numbers are rising exponentially. Seattle and the inland of the Pacific Northwest didn't fare any better. Causalities are in the millions. Those who survived can be seen on rooftops." Destiny's eyes just pop wide open and a blank gaze washes over her face. on the TV the news is showing people flail their arms at the helicopter in cries for help, while electrical explosions can be seen beneath the surface, and the peaks of the distant mountains have now become the new Pacific coast pretty much.

The reporter continues --

 "The loss of human life resulting from the tidal wave is difficult to calculate. Authorities report the number of people missing as being unfathomable and those survivors now displaced have nowhere to go. The United States has opened its borders freely to all survivors. The National Guard has been deployed and FEMA is working with Canada's DART task force and both the Prime Minister and the premiere of B.C. have declared a national state of emergency. They are advising all residents and people to evacuate to Alberta and Idaho. Sadly, things here will never recover. Such a total loss of life, both the Canadian government and the United States are working closely together to help those from this tragic and worst natural disaster modern age has ever seen."

...(click)

Destiny turned off the television and placed her cereal bowl on the table. With a deep sigh and overwhelming amount of grief, she collapses into a sobbing mess.

          "God, not again..." Destiny couldn't contain herself and cries. After a small spell of crying and trying to pull herself together, Destiny was able to finish getting herself ready for work and headed out on her way when she briefly decided to check her mailbox on the way out. She sorts through her envelopes, junk mail and a few bills and pauses at one that grabs her attention. She places the rest in her purse on the floor. The envelope has 'Ravoncroft Enterprises'  In gold inlay. Destiny opens the envelope suspiciously and peers inside. She does a double take and her mouth drops. She pulls a check out of the envelope that is on very fancy paper and feels like silk.

          "Pay to the order of Ms. Destiny Halliwell: Seventy-Five Thousand Dollars and 00/100 cents."

It wasn't just some check it was an official bankrolled certified money order. Destiny proceeded to the nearest wall and leaned against it to keep from collapsing. Her head goes into a tizzy and she tries to collect her breath.