The Boy In The Iceberg

Water. Earth. Fire. Air. My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days. A time of peace, when the Avatar kept balance between the Water Tribes, Earth Kingdoms, the Fire Nation, and Air Nomads, but that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, only he could stop the ruthless firebenders, but when the world needed him most. He vanished. A 100 years have passed and the Fire Nation is nearing victory in the war. 2 years ago, my father and the men of my tribe journeyed to the Earth Kingdoms to help fight against the Fire Nation, leaving me, Kazana, and my brother to look after our tribe. Some people believe that the Avatar was never reborn into the Air Nomads and that the cycle is broken, but I haven't lost hope. I still believe, that somehow, the Avatar will return to save the world.

Kazana's P.O.V:

Our canoe drifted, while Sokka was trying to catch fish. I was just sitting there thinking along with Katara. Sokka had been hunting this fish for hours. This one little fish.

"It's not getting away from me this time. Watch and learn, Katara and Kazana, this is how you catch a fish."

I snorted while Katara saw another fish swimming by the boat. I looked at and her and watched what she did. She took off her glove and took a deep breath and started to bend the water. She's smart. I watched her movements. Her and I were having difficulty teaching ourselves waterbending. She caught the fish in a sphere of water, "Sokka, look!" He was paying no attention to her. He only shushed her and told her that she was going to scare it away and how he could smell it cooking. I swear he only thinks about food. Katara was excited, "But Sokka, I caught one!" She moved the sphere over the canoe and Sokka raised his spear and burst the water sphere, getting him wet and the fish to go flying back in the water.

"Hey!" I exclaimed.

He was soaked, "How is it that when either of you play with magic water I get soaked?"

"It's not magic. It's waterbending and it's-"

He cut me off saying, "yeah, yeah an ancient art, unique to our culture, blah blah blah. Look, I'm just saying if I had weird powers I'd keep my weirdness to myself."

"You're calling us weird? We're not the one who makes muscles at myself every time I see my reflection in the water." Katara retorted, which caused me to laugh.

Suddenly the boat jerked, and we were caught in a current. Sokka tried getting us out of it, but some icebergs hit our canoe, "Watch out!" Katara started frantically giving out directions. We bumped into icebergs, until two smashed our canoe. We all jumped out of it and landed on ice. I slid into the water, Katara almost did, and Sokka was right in the middle. Katara helped me up and I was freezing.

We both went next to Sokka, who asked me, "Are you ok?" I nodded, shivering. Katara looked at Sokka, "You call that left?" I rolled my eyes and focused on warming myself up. I rubbed my hands up and down my arms.

"If you don't like my steering, maybe you should have water bended us out of the ice." Sokka said back. Here we go again. They went back and forth until Katara lost control. I was hardly listening, as well as Sokka, but what Katara did caught my attention. She was bending the water and cracked the iceberg behind us.

"Uh, Katara?" I asked wearily.

"Don't interrupt, Kazana," she commanded.

Sokka noticed what was happening, "Katara, settle down!"

She made another huge crack in the ice and yelled at Sokka, "No! That's it! I'm done helping you! From now on, you're on your own!" One last strike from Katara made several cracks and it caught her attention. It collapsed and made a huge wave that caused us to hang on tightly to each other and the ice we were on.