Black Cloud

The sky was dark and cloudy, almost like it was sympathizing with our mourning. The gloominess of the day threatened to engulf me but I was determined to show I was fine.

I took a deep breath, not really knowing whether I wanted the time to pause or for it to fast-forward. To pause was to spend a little more time with my father, even if it was only with his dead body. To fast forward meant I would no longer spend another second in this moment and feel the pain inside my chest.

I could hear the soft whispers and murmurs around me but I ignored them, focusing on the single black coffin in front of me.

My father was dead. He had been such a force in my life, and I wasn't sure whether I was strong enough to face everything alone. Knowing I wouldn't have him made me bitter. Life was so unfair. No matter how hard you bargained for something to just be ... it didn't care. It would strip you bare.

I was alone now. Alone

I pushed that thought away, not wanting to depress myself any further.

A slight ruckus could be heard from across the room. I turned to check what caused it and saw an entourage of men walking towards the front of the room. The lone man wearing all black in the middle of the group held my gaze as he made his way towards me. His presence was so commanding, everyone's eyes were on him. His bodyguards were like a newly oiled machine, working in sync together. They surrounded him as he moved but slowly took different positions around the area, making sure he was safe and protected.

I could feel his stare beneath the dark glasses shielding his eyes. It was searing into me, freezing me into place as I waited for him to come near.

This was unexpected. Him being here served as a reminder that I was not alone ... yet I was. The whole dynamics of him and me was complicated just as our relationship was.

Noah. He was my fiancé. We were engaged five months ago but this was the only time I ever saw him again after the engagement.

"Anong ginagawa mo dito?" I asked, my voice low so no one could hear.

"You need me here, Maya."

I frowned, not liking his response. I really didn't know how to deal with his presence. As much as I wanted to be happy he was here, I couldn't. Do not ask me why, but I wasn't.

He moved to stand beside me, making me all sorts of nervous and uncomfortable. He stood like he owned the place and that irked me more.

"Akala ko nasa New York ka," I said. "Sabi nila next week pa ang uwi mo."

"Dumating ako kaninang umaga para dito." He gave me a glance, his eyebrow raised in question. "Why, am I bother?"

"Hindi ko lang inaasahan na pupunta ka today." I straightened, not wanting him to see I was somewhat disconcerted by him.

"Ows? Bakit?" His face suddenly transformed to one of irritation.

I wet my lips, trying to find an answer. How could I say I didn't expect him to be here because I didn't want him here? Of course, I didn't say that. It wouldn't be good to argue especially at this time and place.

"I am your fiancé, Maya. Pangit naman siguro tignan kung wala ako rito," he said. He had leaned closer; his breath was hot against my ears. "Besides, it will be easier for me to attend than have to explain my absence, you know. Baka magtaka sila."

Talaga lang ha?

I snorted in response. We were silent, me looking straight ahead, trying not to punch him, and him still so close ... doing god knows what beside me. After what felt like a long time, he moved away a little, giving me back my personal space.