Denial

"Sir, tumawag po ulit si Janice. Reminding us about Alice's party," Nilo said. "Should I confirm po ba na pupunta kayo?"

"No, I won't be attending."

"Noted po sir."

"Just make up something, Nilo," I told him, arranging the papers in front of me. "Ikaw na bahala dun, basta gumawa ka ng dahilan kung bakit hindi ako makakapunta."

"Yes sir."

Janice was Maya's personal assistant, and honestly I was starting to dislike her. She was so efficient that it seemed she needed to consult with me almost everything in Maya's life – well, actually not all but those plans that included me. It was but normal to merge Maya's schedule and mine as we were to be wed soon, but that didn't mean I should like it.

"Should I just send a gift to Alice in your name?" Nilo was standing beside my table, looking ready for my jam-packed day.

"Hindi na. I'm sure na gagawin na yun ni Maya. Alice is her bestfriend, not mine." I gave him a nonchalant shrug. "Kaya na niya yun."

"If you say so, sir."

Nilo was older by three years to my twenty-six years. Although he had been with me since I was a trainee with my grandfather, I still had a lot of things I didn't know about him. I knew a little of his family and his educational background, nothing else. The important thing of all was the fact he was competent and effective as my executive assistant. He knew my moods and my wants, so I need not explain anything more than what was necessary.

"Pwede mo bang tawagan si Jigs? Tell him tuloy kami sa Pangasinan ngayong sabado."

"Sir," he glanced at the gadget he had on his hand, where my daily appointments for the month was found, " you have that photoshoot for Business Asia magazine this Saturday."

Shit. "Oh, right." I almost forgot about that.

"You're free this Sunday, though. Do you want me to block that for you, sir?"

"Sige, yan na lang." I pinched the bridge of my nose. I was in need of a vacation, that much I knew. However, this new hotel venture with our Japanese investors was taking much of my time, not to mention this additional stress that came from my forthcoming wedding.

"Sige po," Nilo acknowledged. "Tawagan ko na lang po si Sir Jigs." He was about to turn around and leave. "By the way, do you want your coffee now or later?"

"Later na lang, Nilo."

"Okay sir," was his short reply before he left.

I wasn't alone for long, though. Juancho Manicad came barging in my office like he owned the place.

"Nakasalubong ko si Nilo sa labas ha," Juancho said, thumbing his hand towards the door. He plopped down on one of the couches located at the side of the office. "Sabi niya wala ka raw kausap, so naisip ko baka bored ka na. So here I am. "

"Kaya ayan, bigla ka na lang pumapasok ng walang pasabi."

"Of course!" Juancho leaned back on the couch, placed his legs on the coffee table and clasped his hands together, smirking at me. "Malakas yata ako sa iyo."

I shook my head. He was as arrogant as I was. Perhaps that was why we were friends. "Himala atang gising ka na ng ganitong oras."

"Man, nakalimutan mo na bang start na ang internship ko. Kanina pa akong alas sais up and able. Pucha nga, ang aga eh.."

"Eh bakit nandito ka? Di ba dapat nasa opisina ka pa nagtratrabaho?"

"Well, I did finish my work early so they let me go."